Hacking How to block updates for my Wii U, while still being able to use internet on it.

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, newcomer to GBAtemp and Wii U homebrewing, and I'm looking to block out updates on my Wii U, while still being able to use the internet browser.

My router sadly isn't supported by DD-WRT, and the factory firmware it comes with doesn't have an IP blacklist, so I can't filter the domains directly on the router.

I've heard something about OpenDNS, but I'm unsure about how to set that up with a Wii U.

Worst case scenario, I can just completely take it offline, I just wanted to keep the convenience of being able to check guides during gameplay and a few other things.

Thanks to any kind users willing to work with me around my noobiness.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
OpenDNS is relatively easy. You make an account, add IP addresses to the blacklist through their website, and then go into the connection settings on your Wii U, and change DNS to not auto-obtain, but instead use the two OpenDNS addresses.
If your internet connection has a dynamic IP, you'll need to run their software on your computer so that they always have your new IP on hand.

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OpenDNS is relatively easy. You make an account, add IP addresses to the blacklist through their website, and then go into the connection settings on your Wii U, and change DNS to not auto-obtain, but instead use the two OpenDNS addresses.
If your internet connection has a dynamic IP, you'll need to run their software on your computer so that they always have your new IP on hand.

Thanks for your help! That would seem to have worked, getting the software installed currently so I'll comeback in 10 minutes or so if my Wii U is still online.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help! That would seem to have worked, getting the software installed currently so I'll comeback in 10 minutes or so if my Wii U is still online.

No worries :). It can apparently take up to 3 minutes for your changes with OpenDNS servers to sync, so you might want to wait a few minutes before testing the system update on the Wii U.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great tuto used : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-blocking-wiiu-update-domains-with-opendns.386110/

But you will not be able to update games though, like MK8 ;)

I suggest you make 2 connections in your Wii U settings :
- one with DNS from OpenDNS
- one with auto-obtain DNS

Make the OpenDNS one as default and change to the "normal one" just when you want to update a game, then back to OpenDNS one.

Works great for me :)

I'm confused, whenever I were to switch over to the normal connection, wouldn't that give the Wii U an opportunity to update the system firmware? Or is that not how that works?

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries :). It can apparently take up to 3 minutes for your changes with OpenDNS servers to sync, so you might want to wait a few minutes before testing the system update on the Wii U.

Huzzah! System Update produced an error when I ran the check, while the browser still works fine. Thanks for your help!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused, whenever I were to switch over to the normal connection, wouldn't that give the Wii U an opportunity to update the system firmware? Or is that not how that works?

Yes, it would, but the Wii U appears to only try to download updates when it goes into standby, so as long as you change it back to the connection with OpenDNS settings applied before you turn the console off you'll be fine.

Edit: Also, OuahOuah's link to the tutorial seems to be broken, so here

Reactions: OuahOuah

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it would, but the Wii U appears to only try to download updates when it goes into standby, so as long as you change it back to the connection with OpenDNS settings applied before you turn the console off you'll be fine.

Edit: Also, OuahOuah's link to the tutorial seems to be broken, so here

Ah, I see, thank you for the info! I guess I'll set it up OuahOuah's way now.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know that when an update comes out, the Wii U will refuse to let you launch your games until you update, if it has any internet access. When that happens you will have to either update, or block it completely from the internet.

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know that when an update comes out, the Wii U will refuse to let you launch your games until you update, if it has any internet access. When that happens you will have to either update, or block it completely from the internet.

At the moment, I don't even have any games for the Wii U, so that won't be a bother yet.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France

Wrong.

Yesterday, as my Wii U was blocked, I launched MK8 even when it tolds me : there is an update for the game (4.1 update for MK8 = 200cc + mirror mode).

I played MK8 then changed the connection to remove OpenDNS settings, then launched again MK8, updated then blocked Internet settings the OpenDNS way.

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong.

Yesterday, as my Wii U was blocked, I launched MK8 even when it tolds me : there is an update for the game (4.1 update for MK8 = 200cc + mirror mode).

I played MK8 then changed the connection to remove OpenDNS settings, then launched again MK8, updated then blocked Internet settings the OpenDNS way.

Thank you for clarifying that, I was confused if I'd even be able to play games now since I want to be prepared for homebrew in the future. Had me worried since I had just ordered DKC Tropical Freeze.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong.

That's for the game, not the System Menu. If you let the Wii U sign into the Nintendo Network and there is a new System Menu, it doesn't really let you launch your games.

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you buy a Wii U without games? The main purpose of the Wii U is to play Mario Kart and Smash, and those require up to date systems.

This was only a few days ago, 'hence why it's already on 5.3.2, and why I don't have any games yet. DKC Tropical Freeze is on it's way though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup