How to block updates for my Wii U, while still being able to use internet on it.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Irastris, May 3, 2015.

1. Irastris
    OP

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Hello, newcomer to GBAtemp and Wii U homebrewing, and I'm looking to block out updates on my Wii U, while still being able to use the internet browser.

My router sadly isn't supported by DD-WRT, and the factory firmware it comes with doesn't have an IP blacklist, so I can't filter the domains directly on the router.

I've heard something about OpenDNS, but I'm unsure about how to set that up with a Wii U.

Worst case scenario, I can just completely take it offline, I just wanted to keep the convenience of being able to check guides during gameplay and a few other things.

Thanks to any kind users willing to work with me around my noobiness.

2. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    OpenDNS is relatively easy. You make an account, add IP addresses to the blacklist through their website, and then go into the connection settings on your Wii U, and change DNS to not auto-obtain, but instead use the two OpenDNS addresses.
    If your internet connection has a dynamic IP, you'll need to run their software on your computer so that they always have your new IP on hand.

3. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for your help! That would seem to have worked, getting the software installed currently so I'll comeback in 10 minutes or so if my Wii U is still online.

4. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    No worries :). It can apparently take up to 3 minutes for your changes with OpenDNS servers to sync, so you might want to wait a few minutes before testing the system update on the Wii U.

5. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    I'm confused, whenever I were to switch over to the normal connection, wouldn't that give the Wii U an opportunity to update the system firmware? Or is that not how that works?

7. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Huzzah! System Update produced an error when I ran the check, while the browser still works fine. Thanks for your help!

TotalInsanity4 and bache like this.
  8. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Just change when you want to update a game. Never change to play online.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes, it would, but the Wii U appears to only try to download updates when it goes into standby, so as long as you change it back to the connection with OpenDNS settings applied before you turn the console off you'll be fine.

Edit: Also, OuahOuah's link to the tutorial seems to be broken, so here

OuahOuah likes this.
  10. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Ah, I see, thank you for the info! I guess I'll set it up OuahOuah's way now.

11. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    You know that when an update comes out, the Wii U will refuse to let you launch your games until you update, if it has any internet access. When that happens you will have to either update, or block it completely from the internet.

12. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    At the moment, I don't even have any games for the Wii U, so that won't be a bother yet.

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What? I thought it was just online mode

14. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Wrong.

Yesterday, as my Wii U was blocked, I launched MK8 even when it tolds me : there is an update for the game (4.1 update for MK8 = 200cc + mirror mode).

I played MK8 then changed the connection to remove OpenDNS settings, then launched again MK8, updated then blocked Internet settings the OpenDNS way.

15. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for clarifying that, I was confused if I'd even be able to play games now since I want to be prepared for homebrew in the future. Had me worried since I had just ordered DKC Tropical Freeze.

16. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Ok.
    DKC needs firm. 4.0 so just update your Wii U if you want, launche the game, update it if needed, then quit game and use OpenDNS connection ;)

GG :)

17. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    My system came with 5.3.2 (bought it used, previous owner had updated it), but thanks anyway!

OuahOuah likes this.
  18. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Why would you buy a Wii U without games? The main purpose of the Wii U is to play Mario Kart and Smash, and those require up to date systems.

OuahOuah likes this.
  19. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    That's for the game, not the System Menu. If you let the Wii U sign into the Nintendo Network and there is a new System Menu, it doesn't really let you launch your games.

20. Irastris
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    This was only a few days ago, 'hence why it's already on 5.3.2, and why I don't have any games yet. DKC Tropical Freeze is on it's way though.