How to Backup my wii NAND??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by alimami, Jul 11, 2009.

1. alimami
    OP

alimami GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2008
    Iran
    hi.
    how can i backup my NAND??
    i've installed bootmii as boot2.
    if i brick my wii how can i restore my NAND??

2. supermodchips

supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2009
    If you have the correct files on your SD card, bootmii should start when the wii is turned on and a NAND backup should be available at the mune.

3. alimami
    OP

alimami GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2008
    Iran
    but when i turn on my wii nothing happen.
    where can i get these correct files??

4. david432111

david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2008
    Denmark
    Launch the hackmii installer and choose prepare an sd card.

5. alimami
    OP

alimami GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2008
    Iran
    i've selected that but again nothing .....
    i have a transcent 1 gig micro SD.

6. Hideki-kun

Hideki-kun GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2008
    I'm guessing your SD card is incompatible... try another one?

7. alimami
    OP

alimami GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2008
    Iran
    there isnt any other way??
    can i use a usb device for this??

8. bubbleboy

bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2008
    United States
    Wow, what a coincidence. I was having this exact same problem today and you just solved it for me. Thanks! [​IMG]

9. sl33p

sl33p GBAtemp Regular

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Pasted from the Bootmii website:

http://bootmii.org/faq/

10. ju421019

ju421019 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2007
    United States
    Delete

11. Sacohen9665

Sacohen9665 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2009
    United States
    My problem is I have BootMii installed as an ISO on a LU64 V4u Wii.

When I launch BootMii from the HomeBrew channel I don't see an option to backup or restore the NAND.

I can't install BootMii as boot2 because of the type of system.

How do I do it on this type of system?

12. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    It's called IOS (probably Input-Output System). Anyways, go to the Gears, and then go the Pic with the Green arrow. Tada, you can Backup your NAND. Is it so hard to look around?

Important: This won't realy help you!!! IOS-BootMii Users are far away from save, even if they have a backup. Don't do anything dangerous with your Wii, because your Backup probably won't help you if something goes wrong.

13. ThePimP2008

ThePimP2008 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2008
    United States
    Hi Blue-K...so basically a IOS-BOOTMII nand backup is useless cos i cannot be restored?...but the backup is good yeah?...so whats the point then why wont my 3.2e let me install as boot2..is there a way around this?..Can you tell me which wii is compatable with boot2 so i can buy one and get shut of this one i have know...Cheers Bud... [​IMG]

14. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Source (Btw: Go to the Link, much more Informations). I wouldn't wait for it...
    -I don't know exactly...for shure the first ones (Launch-Wiis) that were released, because I can confirm that myself [​IMG]

But IF you want BootMii only as a Brick-Protection (which is obvious), I would say:
    -Stay always on the safe side
    -Use Wanins (upcoming) NAND-Emulator for the crazy things

And you should be realy safe [​IMG].

15. larrylje

larrylje Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2009
    United States
    I have read that it is possible (and has been done) to unsolder the NAND chip and use a programmer to restore a NAND backup to the NAND chip.

Of course most don't have the equipment or knowledge to do this but I am sure you could find someone online that could get the job done.

So I would suggest making a NAND backup even if you can only install Bootmii as an IOS.

16. tanis698

tanis698 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2009
    United States
    actually myself and a few others have used bootmii as a ios and restored our nand.i did it myself on a lu65 wii.bootmii as a ios and preloader will work together.

17. justanotherstalk

justanotherstalk Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2009
    How would one do if one had a bootmii/ios install, generally? Is the combination with preloader the easiest and safest way to get a restoreable nand backup for brick recovery? My concern is if I brick while getting preloader up, since the readme states there is a risk, I would be in deep serious trouble? But on the other hand, is there an option?

18. GimmeWii

GimmeWii Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2009
    I made three backups yesterday on my friends 4.2E with latest Bootmii. I had some bad blocks which is normal iirc. Every backup verified correctly. but I compare 1:st with 2:nd, 1:st with 3:rd and 2:nd with 3:rd and none match.

Keys.bin is 1024 byte and nand.bin is 553649152. Same size on all three backups.

I compared them with diff in Linux. It scares me a bit that it says file differ on all the files. Can I be confident it is a correct backup? I think it might be the "charset" the fools diff. When I open the file in vim, it's the same amount of lines and character, but it looks encrypted. My thought is that diff-utils can't handle that.

Any ideas?

GimmeWii

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice