How to Backup and Play Backups With Multiman

Okay, my first tutorial, let me know if you have any suggestions.

MULTIMAN

INTRO
The first step is to get custom firmware, this has been outlined in other guides and is fairly easy (you MUST be on firmware 3.55 or lower.) For this tutorial I will be using 3.55 kmeaw (the best custom firmware in my opinion.)

DOWNLOADING MULTIMAN
Now you need to grab a copy of multiMAN, at the time of this guide the latest version is 2.0. You can find the links here. There are three multiMAN packages; the BASE package contains just multiMAN, the FULL package contains multiMAN and all the covers for the games (so they show the cover image when you select the game in multiMAN) and the MEGA package contains multiMAN, the covers and a bunch of themes which you can use to customize multiMAN's interface. You also need to get the BDEMU.bin, this allows you to run backups without running the Level 2 patcher every time you start the PS3, download here. Now you'll need to un-rar the files, inside the multiMAN rar are various files, the one we need to start is multiMAN ver 2.00.00 BASE/FULL/MEGA (20110507_200000).pkg. The other files in that archive are for different features in multiMAN that I will outline later as well as a special version of multiMAN for wutangrza's custom firmware. Inside the BDEMU.rar will be two files, one for kmeaw's custom firmware one for wutangrza's custom firmware; for this guide you need to use the BDEMU-355KM.pkg.

INSTALLING MULTIMAN
Alright, now you have everything you need, load those pkg files onto the root of a FAT32 formatted usb drive/stick and plug it in your PS3. Now you will need to use Install Package Files function in the game category to install them. Pretty straight forward. You will need to install multiMAN FIRST and then install the BDEMU.pkg.

CREATING BACKUPS
Now you should have a working multiMAN setup, congratulations! Now that everything works you can backup your first game. You can either use your PS3's internal hard drive or an external usb hard drive formatted as FAT32. To backup the game you need to start multiMAN (under game,) put your game into the PS3, select the game in multiMAN and press triangle and select Backup/Copy. It will ask you if you want to backup your game to the internal hard drive first (if you want to backup your game on the internal hard drive press yes) if not select no and it will ask you to backup the game on the external hard drive, press yes. Now it will backup your game, this can take awhile depending on the size of the game. NOTE: if the game has files greater than the FAT32 limit (4GB) you cannot play the game from the external hard drive, you can back it up (and it will split the files into pieces less than 4GB) but it will NOT play. If you want to play these games through multiMAN you must backup the game to the internal hard drive.

PLAYING BACKUPS
Okay, now that you have created your first backup, it's time to play! Start multiMAN, select the game and press X. It will verify the game data and quit. Now if you look what game is in your PS3 it will be the game you just selected! To play the game just press X on the game's icon (just like you would start a game normally.) Yay, now you're playing backups!

LOCATIONS, LOCATIONS, LOCATIONS
If you want to manipulate or copy your backups elsewhere you can find them on your external hard drive in the GAMES folder or on your internal hard drive under dev_hdd0 in the GAMES folder. In order to access the files on your internal hard drive you will have to use multiMAN's file manager function, which will be explained later in the guide.

TROUBLESHOOTING
If your backup does not work (black screen when you start the game) there are a few things you can try. When you select the game in multiMAN, instead of pressing X to start it, press [] (square.) First try fixing the permissions (this can sometimes be a problem) next you can try using the BD-Mirror option (this makes games like COD4 work) lastly if nothing else works look around online for a patch or fix. Some games require this, like Mortal Kombat. You can use this link to find whether a game works or not, and how to fix it.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

LAST GAME
In the multiMAN rar you downloaded earlier you probably noticed the multiMAN [Last Game].rar this is an additional feature that allows you to automatically run the game you played last in multiMAN. So, to install it you'll need to decompress the archive and copy the LAST_GAME_355.pkg to the root of your FAT32 formatted usb drive. Then install it with the Install Package Files function. To use this you must first run a backup from multiMAN, then when you want to play that game again run the Last Game application in the game category, it will automatically load the last game you played and you can start it from the game menu like you normally would.

SHOWTIME
To start showtime go to the video category in multiMAN and select showtime. If it is your first time launching it you will need to download it. Just start showtime and press yes for multiMAN to download showtime. Use the d-pad to navigate, you can search for the files you want to play or you can browse manually by clicking the PS3 HDD folder icon. Generally I would recommend putting your media on a usb drive (because it's easier.) To browse your usb click on the dev_usb000 (for the usb port closest to the disk slot) or dev_usb006 for the other usb port. From there you can select files and play them. You can adjust settings using the gear icon on the top-right of the screen. To exit back to multiman just click on the door icon on the top-right.

FILE MANAGER
To use the File Manager I mentioned earlier go to what normally is the users category and select File Manager. From there you can edit, copy, replace, et cetera all files in the dev_hdd0 and dev_usb00* folders. You cannot (and shouldn't) play with any other folder, unless you use something like Dev_Blind to make your dev_flash writable. I won't list the commands/actions here as they are built into the app. All you need to do it move your cursor over the Help bar at the top of the screen. To go back to the regular multiMAN menu click the Games bar at the to of the screen.

UPDATE
MultiMAN has a built in updater, to use it go to the Users (multiMAN) category and click update. It will check for updates and if there is an update you will have the option to update. Click yes and it will save it to the hdd or usb. To install the update you need to go to the XMB and install it with the Install Package Files function.

THEMES
If you downloaded the MEGA package you will have various themes to try out. To change your theme go to the Users (multiMAN) category and click Themes. Then find one you want to try and press X to apply it.

This guide is still a work in progress, thanks for reading!

Reactions: DayVeeBoi
Z

Zorua

You might want to remove the link to multiMAN because v2 contains eboot fix and it isn't allowed here.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice start to the guide
smile.gif

The PS3 section is very empty just now, so any tutorials are a blessing.

I've saw some people posting around the web that game XXX needs an update to 3.56 (for example) and if the person updates then they lose the CFW. So what do these users patch, using what tools and how ?

What about a few lists ? EG:
- List of games with files > 4gb (these need to go to an internal and can't be ran from an external yet).
- List of games that need specific fixes
- List of games that need the FW patched

You might also want to add some info about deleting files from a game to make it smaller, or rather replacing files (videos)

What about problem games that need the saves/trophies and other files deleted from the PS3 to run for the first time from external HDD.

Alternative to multiman...I know your guide is only about multiman, but at the end of it you should explain a little. Why multiman ? What are the other choices and also the pros and cons of each.

Transfering games to the PS3 internal HDD using FTP could also be included to explain a little to people how to get the "not FAT" games over.

Multiman now has showtime, maybe you should add some info of how to use this feature too?

Multiman can load homebrew iirc, so how do you do this ?

Anyway, I just thought I'd post some ideas in the hope that someone who has a PS3 (I don't) could add some info about these things and they might then get added to the OP.

smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm also writing a multiMAN guide, and I created a wiki page for the black screen game list.

You can use it in your guide too :
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Black_screen_games
Please add any other game you know. Remove Red Dead Redemption if it's not a BSG.

As Zorua said, you should remove the eboot_fix in the packages, because they include the PS3 keys.
You can't direct link to these files from GBAtemp.
I let you come back and see this message so you can edit your links yourself.
just point to psx-scene if you don't want to edit and re-host the managers.
And plus, there are 3 different multiMAN versions, BASE, FULL, MEGA. Maybe the users want a specific one, but we are forced to use your version.

You use version 2.00.00 as your base for the tutorial, but you are telling the user to press older button combination.
O button was used in older version, and on other managers (Gaia for example), to copy the games.
O button now exit multiMAN to XMB.

I should not help you, because I'm also writing a multiMAN tutorial and you are my nemesis!, but I prefer that the users reading the tutorial find the correct informations.
I don't know if the competition will be based on the content and correctness, or on the presentation and readability only. Not a lot of mods are following PS3 scene to check the errors.
Just double check that your guide provide the correct buttons/infos according to the version you are based off.

@slimmmm :
Don't give him too many ideas, I already have or plan that in my tutorial
smileipb2.png

But it's not ready to be posted in public yet
frown.gif

I have too many text to write, I hope the noobs will take the time to read it.

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks you guys! I removed the link, I totally forgot that keys were in there. @Cyan I wrote this guide from memory and the truth is I haven't used 2.0 yet
ohmy.gif
I'll be editing later. @Slimmmmmm Yes, I will be adding features like showtime and game lists, Thanks for the suggestions!

Z

Zorua

cobleman said:
How do i split 9gb files on my PC so Multiman can use it on the Fat32 drive
Look at my FAQ.
You need to use this program called PS3Splitter.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use different program to split big files in multi .666xx
multiMAN is compatible with 666xx files and should reconstruct the files when transfered back to internal.

I like OpenSplit (it's written in java), you just drag&drop (or load, I don't remember) the entire "gamefolder" folder (/gamefolder/PS3_GAME/) into openSplit. it will create the .666xx files automatically, and add an underscore to the game folder.

Underscored folder appear in grey in managers. they are used to recognize games with split files.

If you have the choice to use either .666xx or .partxx, use the "666xx" extension, it's compatible with comgenie and multiMAN.
Split4G let you choose if you want 666xx or partxx extension, use the .666xx one and it will be compatible with multiMAN. (Split4G is made by multiMAN author).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One piece of information that might be useful to some, is that Multiman does support NTFS on USB for those pesky over 4GB files... The issue with that though is that while it can read NTFS it cannot write to it.

So in order to add games or emulators to your USB drive if it is formated in NTFS is to connect to a PC and back up your PS3 games over the network (I believe there are tools that will do exactly this.)

Anyway that seems a little easier to me than messing with file splitters or maybe I am just lazy lol

Shahzadjamil

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
How should i eboot patch the game if i already have it's eboot patch downloaded from [Duplex] link, do i have to over write it on the USRDIR folder or what?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM