how to avoid stomach cramp when running?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First can you avoid press "post" over and over? Already closed four topics, have some damn patience.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I hear marathon runners eat a lot of carbs before a marathon, especially the night before. I believe pasta is one of the best foods to eat for slow release steady energy. Personally Ive never done anything close to a marathon so cant really help with your cramp question.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
while running, inhale through ur nose, and exhale through ur mouth. also, avoid drinking a lot of fluids, just enough to keep ur mouth from growing dry. hydrate urself after the run, otherwise ur stomach will be too full.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TodayiSawMyHeroFall said:
Bring your arms up above your head, and breath, helps a bunch...Although i play tennis and you run so it might not work
that will make you pass out.

iirc that doesnt allow you to inhale fully.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you have a stomach cramp during a race it usually means your upper body is in a bad form like for example your back is too slumped from tiredness or your arms are too swaying or not used properly. Regain your composure and keep running it should get better after a couple of minutes. If it doesn't take your thumb and push down a little on the area of the stomach, usually the spleen, where you are having the cramp, it should get better but that's only if it doesn't go away. I don't recommend that unless nothing else works.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are running a marathon, you should have this
Knowledge already. A marathon is something that takes a lot of preperation, and this leads me to believe you're not ready

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I think this should interest you. Stitches usually come about when you are still lacking in fitness and pushing yourself too intensely... well at least for me. However, bear with it, it's a mind over matter kind of thing; if you can stand it for like 5-10min, it should go away. Take the advices from wikipedia, other than those that tell you to stop and rest. Remember, running is a very mental activity, give in to the pain easily and you lose. All the best and hope it helps

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Having done several Half-marathons and haven't had the guts to try a full Marathon i shall part some tips to you. Stretch and do some light jogging/or jogging on spot, 10-15 mins before race. Just jog on the spot and do the some leg stretches and then some abdominal stretches. The abdominal stretches should reduce the risk of getting stomach cramp while running (the pain has nothing to do with the food you eat or the stomach, it's to do with the muscles in that vicinity) but there's no way to actually fully prevent it and could happen to the most seasoned runner or the worst runner (but usually a runner who is not in good form or lacks a good posture). Also search online and you should find foods you should be eating weeks before the marathon in preparation. The morning before eat a light breakfast high in sugar and possibly eat a chocolate bar or two before the race giving you some nice energy for the start of the race until that dwindles away (1 hour or so). Good luck
smile.gif

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Talaria said:
Having done several Half-marathons and haven't had the guts to try a full Marathon i shall part some tips to you. Stretch and do some light jogging/or jogging on spot, 10-15 mins before race. Just jog on the spot and do the some leg stretches and then some abdominal stretches. The abdominal stretches should reduce the risk of getting stomach cramp while running (the pain has nothing to do with the food you eat or the stomach, it's to do with the muscles in that vicinity) but there's no way to actually fully prevent it and could happen to the most seasoned runner or the worst runner (but usually a runner who is not in good form or lacks a good posture). Also search online and you should find foods you should be eating weeks before the marathon in preparation. The morning before eat a light breakfast high in sugar and possibly eat a chocolate bar or two before the race giving you some nice energy for the start of the race until that dwindles away (1 hour or so). Good luck
smile.gif
hmm this week im having some sort of school road race where everyone runs around a reservoir, i think around 3.sth km. almost very fridy i run around my school 3 tiems = 2.4km, which maks me want to puke already. also if i do warm up i'll feel really tired, no idea why. i cant sort of tolerate the stomach cramp, but i cant take in deep breaths or i'll be really tired and probably have asthma again
sleep.gif

so, um, what food?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all