how to avoid stomach cramp when running?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by aimansss95, Feb 10, 2009.

Feb 10, 2009
  1. aimansss95
    OP

Member aimansss95 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what kind of breakfast should i eat before the marathon? and is there any stretching to avoid stomach cramp?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    First can you avoid press "post" over and over? Already closed four topics, have some damn patience.

3. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Hmm...something with less fibre; two whole wheat bread toasted with butter.

4. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    I heard the pharmacy have some medicine called Bukake so go there and ask for Bukake.

5. aimansss95
    OP

Member aimansss95 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    sorry bout that..my internet connection hv some problem.....how about drinking water?

6. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    see you were supposed to say while running thats why your topic was shut down.

7. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I hear marathon runners eat a lot of carbs before a marathon, especially the night before. I believe pasta is one of the best foods to eat for slow release steady energy. Personally Ive never done anything close to a marathon so cant really help with your cramp question.

8. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    i think breathing helps.

9. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It does. Breath in deeply while running, and not short shallow breaths. Eating a banana also helps because of the pottassium.

10. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    while running, inhale through ur nose, and exhale through ur mouth. also, avoid drinking a lot of fluids, just enough to keep ur mouth from growing dry. hydrate urself after the run, otherwise ur stomach will be too full.

11. TodayiSawMyHeroF

Member TodayiSawMyHeroF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bring your arms up above your head, and breath, helps a bunch...Although i play tennis and you run so it might not work

12. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    that will make you pass out.

iirc that doesnt allow you to inhale fully.

13. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    if you have a stomach cramp during a race it usually means your upper body is in a bad form like for example your back is too slumped from tiredness or your arms are too swaying or not used properly. Regain your composure and keep running it should get better after a couple of minutes. If it doesn't take your thumb and push down a little on the area of the stomach, usually the spleen, where you are having the cramp, it should get better but that's only if it doesn't go away. I don't recommend that unless nothing else works.

14. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    If you are running a marathon, you should have this
    Knowledge already. A marathon is something that takes a lot of preperation, and this leads me to believe you're not ready

15. xoinx

Member xoinx GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I think this should interest you. Stitches usually come about when you are still lacking in fitness and pushing yourself too intensely... well at least for me. However, bear with it, it's a mind over matter kind of thing; if you can stand it for like 5-10min, it should go away. Take the advices from wikipedia, other than those that tell you to stop and rest. Remember, running is a very mental activity, give in to the pain easily and you lose. All the best and hope it helps

16. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Having done several Half-marathons and haven't had the guts to try a full Marathon i shall part some tips to you. Stretch and do some light jogging/or jogging on spot, 10-15 mins before race. Just jog on the spot and do the some leg stretches and then some abdominal stretches. The abdominal stretches should reduce the risk of getting stomach cramp while running (the pain has nothing to do with the food you eat or the stomach, it's to do with the muscles in that vicinity) but there's no way to actually fully prevent it and could happen to the most seasoned runner or the worst runner (but usually a runner who is not in good form or lacks a good posture). Also search online and you should find foods you should be eating weeks before the marathon in preparation. The morning before eat a light breakfast high in sugar and possibly eat a chocolate bar or two before the race giving you some nice energy for the start of the race until that dwindles away (1 hour or so). Good luck [​IMG]

17. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Inhale through your nose, and exhale through your mouth, its the best way.

18. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    hmm this week im having some sort of school road race where everyone runs around a reservoir, i think around 3.sth km. almost very fridy i run around my school 3 tiems = 2.4km, which maks me want to puke already. also if i do warm up i'll feel really tired, no idea why. i cant sort of tolerate the stomach cramp, but i cant take in deep breaths or i'll be really tired and probably have asthma again [​IMG]
    so, um, what food?

19. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    smoke marijuana

20. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    make sure to breathe while you do that too.