How to automatically backup your Nintendo Switch Saves to the Cloud

Hey guys.

Some time ago my switch softbricked, and I had to reinstall everything, and even with some save backups, because the whole process is kinda annoying, I lost an insane amount of progress.

So I did a little digging and created this method to automatically backup your saves to the cloud.

What do you need:
1. WinSCP installed on your pc.
2. Sysftpd-light on your Switch (with the latest atmosphere installed).
3. A synchronized folder with the cloud on your windows. (Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox,... )
4. JKSV, Checkpoint, Edizon, or any other tool. (I'm using JKSV).

Let's begin:
1. First make sure that you sysftpd is configured (check the sdmc:/config/sys-ftpd/config.ini file on your sd card). Make sure that you have a user and password set up.
2. Create a script file for the WinSCP that automatically synchronizes the folder of your saves on the switch with your synchronized folder on windows.
Example of a script that synchronizes the JKSV folder of my switch with my onedrive folder while deleting the current files of my onedrive.:

Code:
open ftp://foo:[email protected]:5000/ -rawsettings ProxyPort=0

synchronize local -delete C:\OneDrive\Saves\Switch /JKSV/

exit
3. Create to run the task in your favorite time period.
  • Open Task Scheduler:
    • Windows 10: Go to Windows Start Menu > Settings. In Find a setting box type “Task Scheduler”.
    • Windows 8.1: Right click Windows Start button and select Control Panel. In Control Panel, go to System and Security > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks.
    • Windows 7: Go to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel. In Control Panel, go to System and Security > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks.
  • In the Task Scheduler menu go to Action > Create Basic Task.
  • Give your task a name and click Next.
  • Choose when the task should be run and click Next.
  • For task action, select Start a program and click Next.
  • Browse for WinSCP.exe executable.
  • In Add arguments add appropriate WinSCP command-line parameters to execute the scripting commands you need (typically you will use /script or /command parameters).
  • You should also add /log parameter to turn on session logging to file.
  • The resulting arguments may look like:
    /log="C:\temp\winscp.log" /ini=nul /script="C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\script.txt"
And that's it!

Ah, I didn't found a way to automatically create the backups on the Nintendo Switch yet, but you can easily do that by yourself since it's pretty quick.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was always wondering if it's not possible to write sysmodule that will synchronize with gdrive and upload new saves to gdrive in background and those saves would be taken from folder created by Atmosphere with its redirect to sd function (to minimize memory usage because of save mounting).
Sadly I have 0 experience with socket. :P

Last edited by masagrator,

TheZampo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was always wondering if it's not possible to write sysmodule that will synchronize with gdrive and upload new saves to gdrive in background and those saves would be taken from folder created by Atmosphere with its redirect to sd function (to minimize memory usage because of save mounting).
Sadly I have 0 experience with socket. :P

That would be incredible TBH.
Never tried to mess with sysmodules, maybe I'll check it out. It's a great idea!

Reactions: Neo127 and lordelan

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Have you tried just using tinfoil to point your game saves directory to a google drive, dropbox, or1fiscier directory? Then your game saves automatically backup and restore from the cloud direct from the switch.
Not completely automated in the sense that it doesn't happen in the background, BUT a very cool feature! Thank you.
Much better than connecting in remotely to ftp server running constantly on the switch. :D

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried just using tinfoil to point your game saves directory to a google drive, dropbox, or1fiscier directory? Then your game saves automatically backup and restore from the cloud direct from the switch.
any chance for a batch operation?:P

Hautis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
How can this be achieved? I mean what are the settings for this?

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
In terms of battery draining, how bad is having a ftp sysmodule permanently active and running in the background? I'm using FTPD but may consider changing to this alternative if the battery consumption is low enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a