How to allow people to upload images to my Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    I am currently creating a cape mod for Minecraft, and it requires Dropbox. I was wondering if there is a way for users to upload their cape image to my Dropbox, so their cape is on their player ingame?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You could give them your user/pass details to let them use it directly, or you can create a shared folder. Those are the only 2 methods I know of.

Go onto the website and log in to find the Sharing tab and create a Shared Folder. Follow the instructions from there.

3. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Sorry I kinda didn't really explain. I mean people who download my mod; ANYONE on the internet, I want them to be able to upload a cape to my dropbox. Is there a way to set up an 'upload' button and link it to my dropbox on a website?

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I don't think DropBox is designed for that. I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression it was designed for more... private use (as in, you get a public folder for others to download from, a shared folder for allowed users to upload/download to, and the rest is your own for sharing between your computers).

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    http://www.dropitto.me/

EDIT: With that site, you need to make an upload password anyone wanting to upload will have to enter (of course, you can give this to anyone you want, or publicly distribute it).

Alternatively, you can use this script: http://www.addictive...dropbox-folder/ (it's what the site above is based off) - edit it and host it somewhere (may even work if you just stick it in the "Public" folder of your dropbox I think), and then anyone can upload to your dropbox, without a password. Note that if someone views the source of the PHP script, they might be able to see your dropbox email address and password (I'm not sure of this, kinda just assuming here).

I'd advise going with DropItToMe and publicly distribute the upload password with the mod package, as that seems to be the safest, most secure way to do it.

6. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Awesome, DropItToMe is just what I was looking for! :)