Gaming How the heck could there not be Punchout for the DS?

Sizzlechest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original Punchout used two screens. The DS has two screens. Both were made by Nintendo. How has there not been a port?! Oh and arm wrestling, too.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sizzlechest said:
The original Punchout used two screens. The DS has two screens. Both were made by Nintendo. How has there not been a port?! Oh and arm wrestling, too.

There's an arm wrestling mini-game in Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy. Its a decent minigame! The full game however leaves a lot to be desired
tongue.gif

And yes. We need a Punch-Out DS (or a reasonable facsimile anyway)

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always emulate Punch-out NES and Super Punch-out on either screen for something close xD
It is surprising no one has tried to make a MAME port yet.
It seems rather well suited.
Though probly its just that its not all that popular enough to get someone going on it.
Was expecting the whole works from Nintendo like a new Wii Punch-out and no doubt an NDS arcade port.
It just makes sense.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been whining for a Punch-Out on DS since the thing was released.

Here's my idea:

All 3 Punch-Out games on one cart. The NES and SNES versions could have standard and enhanced modes allowing you to play with the stylus if desired. The already dual-screen arcade version could just be arcade perfect.

Nintendo is a bunch of idiots for not already having something like this on the DS.

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
comming from the nds emu thread punchout has been on nesDS and the graphics are too glitchy it unplayable... i tried awell... i liked the 1st one over Super PO any day.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sizzlechest said:
The original Punchout used two screens. The DS has two screens. Both were made by Nintendo. How has there not been a port?!
That is easily the best question asked on this site today. We desperately need some wire-frame boxing action on this system.

If I had to guess at an answer, I would say that any developer of the port would have a hard time coming up with a useful function for the stylus / touchscreen. Wouldn't be enough to keep me from making it, but it might be enough to make me question how I would market it on the DS.

Sizzlechest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
If I had to guess at an answer, I would say that any developer of the port would have a hard time coming up with a useful function for the stylus / touchscreen. Wouldn't be enough to keep me from making it, but it might be enough to make me question how I would market it on the DS.

But here's the thing... The original Punchout and Super Punchout didn't need a stylus. It didn't have strange controls or analog yokes. The DS has enough buttons to handle it, too. They've essentially remade Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, Super Mario Brothers, etc. but not the ONE game that actually used two screens in the arcade.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sizzlechest said:
Szyslak said:

But here's the thing... The original Punchout and Super Punchout didn't need a stylus. It didn't have strange controls or analog yokes. The DS has enough buttons to handle it, too. They've essentially remade Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, Super Mario Brothers, etc. but not the ONE game that actually used two screens in the arcade.
I completely agree with you that it should be done, and it would be fantastic Sizzlechest. I'm just wondering if the cost of porting it would be worth it when you consider the primary market for DS games. i.e. Young gamers with no nostalgia for the original.

Let me state it a different way. What would the ported game bring to the system for someone who has never heard of Punch-Out?

pilotwangs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it'd be fine if they made a totally new punch-out all together,that way it keeps old fans of the game happy and people who have never heard of it can get into it.

Plus,the original had,what,6/7 opponents?
There is no way that would hold up as a DS game.

Though i kinda like the idea of all the punch-out games in one(as well as the arm wresting spin-off which rocks)
This could probably be made as a homebrew...

pilotwangs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bob Evil said:
Do we need ports, remakes and sequels ?

Or, do we need new ideas ... ?
I guess it doesn't need to be under the name ''punch-out'',but we do need a decent boxing game.

Come to think of it,has there been any boxing games on a nintendo hand-held?
Besides mini-games.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Showtime Championship Boxing ... and that's just off the top of my head ... there may have been others ... and that's just on the DS ...

There have been boxing titles on the Gameboy & GBA, also ...

EDIT : Boxing Fever, Mike Tyson's Boxing, Punch King - Arcade Boxing & Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - Round 2 were all on the GBA

EDIT : Does no-one use search engines anymore ? hmmm ...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Evil said:
Showtime Championship Boxing ... and that's just off the top of my head ... there may have been others ... and that's just on the DS ...

There have been boxing titles on the GB & GBA, also ...
That game was awful.

On the GBA there was Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, which was one of those rare DSI games that wasn't terrible. That was pretty much a Punch-Out rip off. Other GBA boxers were pretty bad.

As for a proper DS version of PO, perhaps Nintendo doesn't think it'll sell enough. There are many many Nintendo franchises that are more popular that Nintendo hasn't done yet so its no surprise.

mcduh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they can put out Super Dodgeball for a combination of noObz and old arcade lovin people, they can put out Punch Out.

Nintendo: sort it out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey