Hardware How the 3D effect works on the 3DS.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't new tech. Fairly certain this is the method. Heard of this a long time ago.

QUOTE said:
Displays with filter arrays

The LCD is covered with an array of prisms that divert the light from in their notebook and desktop computers. These displays usually cost upwards of 1000 dollars and are mainly targeted at science or medical professionals.
Another technique, for example used by the X3D company, is simply to cover the LCD with two layers, the first being closer to the LCD than the second, by some millimeters. The two layers are transparent with black strips, each strip about one millimeter wide. One layer has its strips about ten degrees to the left, the other to the right. This allows seeing different pixels depending on the viewer's position

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy#O...display_methods

What this means:
A filter is over the screen (adjusted by the slider on the right?) which limits the pixels that can be viewed by each eye. That is why you can't be too far to one side or the other. When the image is processed in your head, magic happens (3D effect).

Not sure if this is the exact method I was thinking of but the closest I could find from a Google search.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Nope, it sure isn't new tech. In fact there was a model they showed on TechTV (before it became G4) On The Screen Savers, and it was marketed as a gaming laptop, and they played Battlefield 1942, and had to stop after 10 minutes or so because the effect was headache inducing.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
What this means: A filter is over the screen (adjusted by the slider on the right?) which limits the pixels that can be viewed by each eye. That is why you can't be too far to one side or the other. When the image is processed in your head, magic happens (3D effect).

Not sure if this is the exact method I was thinking of but the closest I could find from a Google search.

The method might be correct, but the filter never gets adjusted, the software renders the image twice, once from the left and once from the right. The slider changes how far left or right the two images are rendered from. If you changed the filter in any way it would completely f*ck up the effect, the filters have to remain exact.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end