PS1/2 How should I turn a PS2 console off when I'm in a game ?

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am using FMCB + OPL + internal HDD.

When I am in the middle of a game, should I press the power button to turn the console off ? wouldn't it corrupt the HDD if I power off the system when in game ?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I am using FMCB + OPL + internal HDD.

When I am in the middle of a game, should I press the power button to turn the console off ? wouldn't it corrupt the HDD if I power off the system when in game ?

It probably won't hurt anything because data is only being read during gameplay. Usually corruption happens from data being moved or written. If you're really concerned, though, you can use a button combo (L1+R1+L2+R2+Start+Select) to trigger an in-game reset, which will put you back to the OSD or OPL (I think it depends on some setting), from which you can power off normally.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally would exit OPL and go back to the home menu and shut down from there. No corruption for me when I played Xenosaga I to Xenosaga III doing the method @Sophie-bear suggested with the button combination to bring you back to the home menu.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The button combo only works for certain games and not all of them, and there's a button combo for POPStarter too but it requires some files IIRC. And, as the user above me said, turning off manually in-game won't cause anything unless you turned it off while it was saving, then it can corrupt the save file (which you shouldn't do) but not the game data or hdd.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I normally would exit OPL and go back to the home menu and shut down from there.

so you are saying you do L1+R1+L2+R2+Start+Select which takes you to the OPL menu...but then how do you exit OPL ?

turning off manually in-game won't cause anything

By turning off manually, you mean pressing the power button on the console or the L1+R1+L2+R2+Start+Select combo ?

Last edited by L3gi0n0fh311,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
L1+R1+L2+R2+Start+Select -- puts me back into the consoles main menu (FCMB still active and modifying the menu) (but you could probably change that to OPL - within OPL).

That "function" is part of a memory "hack" OPL does. And its important to know, that if you look up OPL compatibility lists, you will see, that for some games to work (load), the in game reset actually has to be disabled. (ICO afair is one.) You will come across such games eventually. (In that case you disable it in "per game" options for that specific game. With one of the 6 or so "hacks" OPL offers per game. (Some influence disc loading speed, one disables the patches that also patch in IGR (= in game reset)) The compatibility lists will list them when per game hacks need to be enabled (or rather disabled, by enabling a per game 'hack option' - because IGR is enabled by OPL by default).

By default L1+R1+L2+R2+Start+Select in some games would reset you back to the main screen for that game, but OPL modifies that, so it resets you back to OPL or the PS2 main menu - from any game (that doesnt crash, when thats done - in which case you usually disable it in per game options in OPL, and save that config for that game.).

From PS2 main menu, you can then launch OPL, and OPL in itself has an option to "shut down" the console (puts it into stand by only - As in doesnt flip the powersupply switch.. ;) ).

This is how I turn off the console most off the time.

But the others are correct, that on the original PS2 you were supposed to walk up to the console, and essentially long press the power/reset button (the one above eject) to shut down (or reset (short press)) the console.

As long as you arent in the middle of saving to a memory card, you should be fine. :) (As per the originally intended Sony design.)

Last edited by notimp,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The button combo takes you back to OPL, you can exit to the browser (to turn off the PS2) from there. There could be a way to make go straight to the PS2 browser directly, i honestly don't remember how.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
you can exit to the browser (to turn off the PS2) from there. There could be a way to make go straight to the PS2 browser directly, i honestly don't remember how.
And why whould you do that, when OPL has a shutdown function integrated? To waste time? And to have to get off from the couch more often?

Ignore.

zHPgTZI.png

Power off?

Amazing. What could it mean?

Last edited by notimp,

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since I am using a physical memory card for saves and powering off the PS2 console during the game while saves are not being written is safe, I have decided to use the physical power button on the console to power off the system, but I have a question:

Should I just press the PS2's power button once (RESET) ?

or should I press and hold the PS2's power button for three seconds (STANDBYE) ?

Whats the difference between RESET and STANDBYE ?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Not necessary at all since we've already explained that it's safe to power off while in a game, but if you want a quick way to do it without getting up and pressing the button on the console, I've found an .elf that allows for this. Simply add it to a slot on your OSD using the configurator and use it to power off the console from the main menu. Since you can reset to the Browser using the button combo, you can do this all from the gamepad. https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301

IOWdkKU.png

ot9PAlh.png

HOWEVER...

Warning: If you have FMCB 1.966 this app is obsolete, because this option + some tweaks has been added to special menu.
Item is "POWEROFF": https://www.psx-place.com/threads/fmcb-fhdb-v1-9-series-release-thread.13413/page-8#post-152415.

Assuming you are on v1.966, it should instead look like this (using the select button to map the Special command) if you do not already have this. The .elf is unnecessary on this version (or later).

e8vdeJU.png

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: zfreeman

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS2 console sits close to my coach, so I guess I go with actually pressing the power button on the console....

Should I press it once or should I hold it for 3 seconds ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate