Hacking How should I regularly update emuNAND to the latest system version?

JohnTravolski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Critical Information:

My Old Nintendo 3DS XL (USA NES edition) has a sysNAND of 4.2 and an emuNAND of 9.8. I use RXtools to boot into emuNAND and the only game that I play in emuNAND is Pokémon Omega Ruby so that I can use SaveDataFiler (which I installed from a .CIA file) to import and export save data AND extdata to edit on the computer with PKHex and Tinivi’s BVeditor. I originally updated my emuNAND to 9.2 by using the built-in update feature in the system settings while in emuNAND.

Problem:

Nintendo now REQUIRES (as of last Monday) you to have the latest system version in order to use the friend list and go online in Pokémon Omega Ruby. Naturally, my emuNAND is not the latest system version. Before Nintendo required this, I had no issues going online and using the friend list, but now I am unable to.

3 Questions:

· What is the safest way to regularly update my emuNAND to the latest system version without compromising my ability to access emuNAND, use SaveDataFiler, and/or play games like Omega Ruby online in emuNAND?

· If something were to go wrong when I update my emuNAND, what steps should I take to restore it assuming that my sysNAND version is not compromised?

· Is it possible that my sysNAND version could change when I update emuNAND using your suggested method or is this just an irrational fear of mine?

Please be sure to answer all of my questions so that I can regularly play games online in emuNAND safely and without risk. Without being able to regularly update emuNAND, there’s no way I can go online in my games.

Last edited by JohnTravolski,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First you should back up your emunand with emunand9 tool then as long as your nand and emunand is unlinked you can update though syst settings with no problems as long as you load your emunand before doing this.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the first thing you would do is to check the version of rxtools/reinand version you are using and check if it is compatible with the version you want to update to.
If it is not supported, you would update the version of cfw you're using.

Then, before doing anything, the best would be to have your 3ds hardmoded if something happens to your sysNAND.
You would use emunand9 to dump a backup of current emuNAND and sysNAND, just in case.
Also, it would be better to have sysNAND and emuNAND unlinked (I don't know what would happen if not).

Also, you sould make a backup of all of your SD card.

Once on emuNAND, you can update to the latest version (in this case, this is the version you want to update to), go to Settings and go to other settings, etc (I don't know the exact names because I have an eur 3ds in spanish).

So, if something were wrong with the updated emuNAND, you would need to run minipasta or any firm-patch-app to run emunand9 from your sysNAND, and then, reinject your emuNAND backup into your "damaged" emuNAND.

I think there is no problem updating emuNAND with this previous advices and being sure you have emuNAND and sysNAND unlinked

Last edited by Arubaro,

JohnTravolski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the detailed responses, but how do I tell if my sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked? What can I do to know that they're unlinked for sure?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
I appreciate the detailed responses, but how do I tell if my sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked? What can I do to know that they're unlinked for sure?
There are some methods.

Some of them are, for example, if you change your theme in sysNAND and it also changes on emuNAND, then they are linked or you can see if your friend code are the same, in that case emu and sys would be linked too.

I have always used the first one, but you can use both if you want.

edit:
Now that I think about it, you don't have themes on 4.2, do you?

Also, you can install something in sysNAND and see if it is installed too in emuNAND.

Last edited by Arubaro,

JohnTravolski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't have any themes on 4.2 in my sysNAND version. What steps should I take to unlink them in case they are linked?

Edit:
Okay, so I just checked, my sysNAND friend code is 4442-1943-8736 while my emuNAND friend code is 3411-4005-4872
Is that alone enough to prove that they're unlinked or should I try some other methods as well?

Last edited by JohnTravolski,

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I don't have any themes on 4.2 in my sysNAND version. What steps should I take to unlink them in case they are linked?

Edit:
Okay, so I just checked, my sysNAND friend code is 4442-1943-8736 while my emuNAND friend code is 3411-4005-4872
Is that alone enough to prove that they're unlinked or should I try some other methods as well?

Well, when you format your system, it generates a new friend code.
Also, if you have two different folders with random numbers inside your Nintendo 3ds folder, then they're unlinked

JohnTravolski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3CzNxZm.png
aHOzxqM.png

This is what my SD card looks like right now. I see the two folders inside the Nintendo 3DS folder with different random names, so I assume emu and sys are unlinked?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
This is what my SD card looks like right now. I see the two folders inside the Nintendo 3DS folder with different random names, so I assume emu and sys are unlinked?
Yes, I think they're unlinked.

I don't know if there are other methods, just to be 100% sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt