How Should I Partition a 256gb SD Card For Emunand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by rambutann, Aug 14, 2019.

1. rambutann
    OP

rambutann Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Australia
    I bought a 256gb SD card which is an upgrade from 64gb. How should I partition the card so I can install the max. no of games? I set around 30gb for the accessible FAT partition but when I try to install BOTW (17gb) Goldleaf is giving me 'insufficient space' error. How should I go about doing this? Are the games installed on the 1st or 2nd partition?
    Thank you!

2. LeMageFro

LeMageFro GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2018
    France
    When you install a NSP with goldleaf it gives you the choice to either install it on your SD card, in which case it will be installed on the first partition, or to install it on the internal memory, in which case it will be installed on the second partition if you do it from emuNAND. So in your case if you chose to install it on the SD card you should have enough space.

Last edited by LeMageFro, Aug 14, 2019
  3. rambutann
    OP

rambutann Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Australia
    Ah I see. So is it completely safe to install on the internal storage? My internal storage partition is almost 200gb but only around 29gb is showing in data management in settings. Is this normal?

4. LeMageFro

Mar 29, 2018
    France
    I'm not sure but I would assume it's not normal, maybe the OS doesn't recognize the space properly. Also I had misread your post I thought you had kept 30GB for the emuNAND partition not for the FAT one, that's why I said you should install it to your SD and not to the internal storage, but yeah in your case you probably want to install it to internal storage. But I don't really see the point of having such a big emuNAND and a small SD partition, since you can install your games on the SD too ?

5. NDSAK2

NDSAK2 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2008
    Canada
    It sounds like your partitions are not set up right. should be 30GB for EmuMMC and around 200 GB for the FAT partition.

6. LeMageFro

Mar 29, 2018
    France
    Last edited by LeMageFro, Aug 16, 2019
    rambutann likes this.
  7. rambutann
    OP

rambutann Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks for that! I'll use that size from now on.

8. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    using SX OS is a decent tool for setting up the emunand partition. Can use the partition created on atmosphere or sxos

9. rambutann
    OP

rambutann Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    Australia
    I don't know about SX OS, I've installed CFW to save some money (at the expense of time) and it seems quite counterintuitive to buy a CFW for such a steep price when there are other CFWs like Atmosphere which can do pretty much the same stuff for free (with some adjustments e.g. signature patching and Hekate). I've just set up everything using these and it's all-g now.

10. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    you dont need to buy sxos to partition your sd card. License is not needed

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted