Hacking How should I go about Updating the Firmware?

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So my Switch is currently on FW 5.1.0. After purchasing the SX Pro I removed my Internet profiles, Backed Up the Nand, then installed the SX OS. The Games I downloaded I have finished and no longer need them. I Bought Torna back in September and am ready to play the game. I would like to be able to download the DLC and play but still retain SX Functionality without being banned. So here is what I'm trying to understand as its been a bit since following the news.

1. Should I reflash the Nand back to stock, then logon and update the actual System FW, then install the Newest ver of SX OS? Or should I simply upgrade my Ver of SX OS and update the Emunand?

2. Does this Emunand work similar to the Gateway Cards in which If I am in said "Emunand" I can simply log online and keep updating it while my original FW Stays in Tact, or Should Emunand stay the hell away from online but keep the System FW updated?

3. Not a big online user but not looking to get banned. So Obviously downloading updates for installed .xci or .nsp files is a huge red flag that I'm sure sets off the ban Hammer, but aside from typical common sense what are the safety tips for running the newest SX OS undetected?

Thanks for your consideration.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
First of all if you're on 5.1.0 there is absolutely NO NEED to update right now. You can stay on 5.1.0 perfectly and still play the any backups that you want. If any game needs a higher firmware, just use tinfoil's bypass firmware check option and you're good to go

SUPPOSEDLY that's how it works. However, the emunand is not stored in the SD card but in a partition of the NAND itself so it's pretty unknown how safe it is right now

Well you already took the first step which is to remove your connection setting and you have a NAND backup. Of course i wouldn't recommend downloading the updates via official means if you're running backups. SX's stealth mode will also help since it blocks all Nintendo based communications

NateXIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
1. Depends of what you want, the primary reason to use emunand is to maintain the NAND on the lowest firmware possible for a future coldboot, if you don' care about that then just update.

2. You will hear a lot about how is not a proper emunand, but yes, basically is similar to the gateway, you can update it online or use ChoiDojourNX to update it offline.

3. If you really care about not getting banned then don't use nsp's. As for tips, 90DNS to block Nintendo's servers and SXOS Stealth mode.

Reactions: Abstract3000

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my Switch is currently on FW 5.1.0. After purchasing the SX Pro I removed my Internet profiles, Backed Up the Nand, then installed the SX OS. The Games I downloaded I have finished and no longer need them. I Bought Torna back in September and am ready to play the game. I would like to be able to download the DLC and play but still retain SX Functionality without being banned. So here is what I'm trying to understand as its been a bit since following the news.

1. Should I reflash the Nand back to stock, then logon and update the actual System FW, then install the Newest ver of SX OS? Or should I simply upgrade my Ver of SX OS and update the Emunand?

2. Does this Emunand work similar to the Gateway Cards in which If I am in said "Emunand" I can simply log online and keep updating it while my original FW Stays in Tact, or Should Emunand stay the hell away from online but keep the System FW updated?

3. Not a big online user but not looking to get banned. So Obviously downloading updates for installed .xci or .nsp files is a huge red flag that I'm sure sets off the ban Hammer, but aside from typical common sense what are the safety tips for running the newest SX OS undetected?

Thanks for your consideration.
use choidujour and update offline without burning fuses.pretty easy,5 minutes or less.

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, See The issue with having to update is so that I can download the DLC I don't think it's actually included on the Torna Cart (But I could be Wrong) and as we all know the instant you try to do anything online with a Nintendo Console unless your the most Current FW your not achieving it.

I initially took the Nand backup before doing anything as a way to play a few .xci games with the intention that after finishing them, I would just swap back the nand and play my physical games so I could retain my saves, profile data etc.

So it appears the best way to do is just revert back to the 1st Nand Dump to remove anything no so stealth. Install the new SX OS and then upgrade the Firmware offline (or at least the Emunand firmware) and try giving the DLC a shot...

Last edited by Abstract3000,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for the replies, See The issue with having to update is so that I can download the DLC I don't think it's actually included on the Torna Cart (But I could be Wrong) and as we all know the instant you try to do anything online with a Nintendo Console unless your the most Current FW your not achieving it.

I initially took the Nand backup before doing anything as a way to play a few .xci games with the intention that after finishing them, I would just swap back the nand and play my physical games so I could retain my saves, profile data etc.

So it appears the best way to do is just revert back to the 1st Nand Dump to remove anything no so stealth. Install the new SX OS and then upgrade the Firmware offline (or at least the Emunand firmware) and try giving the DLC a shot...

Question: Do you have the DLC bought legitimately? And no the DLC isn't included in the cart, neither are any updates that may come, those are all on the e-shop. If you have the DLC bought legit then you wont need to do anything CFW related. However if you got the DLC via...other means then, again, you won't need to update past 5.0.1. Just install the DLC .NSP files using Tinfoil, choose to bypass the firmware check and you're golden

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water