Hacking How should I go about modding my PS3?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have an old 60GB PS3. But it's broken. The disc drive doesn't read games anymore. So before I even attempt to hack it, I need to send it to sony for repairs. Which will be about $140. Then I also need to upgrade the internal hard drive. Since the 60GB isn't enough to hold all of my ps1, ps2, ps3, games. So I'd need to buy this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R4BBL0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PIHVPUB1N9B0

And then to downgrade it to install custom firmware, I need to buy an E3 flasher correct?

https://www.modchipcentral.com/store/E3-Flasher-Dual-Boot-PS3-PlayStation3-Downgrader-Jailbreak.html

If I do all of this, will I be able make backups of all my game discs (PS1, PS2, PS3) and play them from the internal hard drive? I need to make sure before I spend all this money. I tired this once for my fat PS2 and it ended up not working. Wasted $75 bucks. :(

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless the PS3 had the HDD replaced you can't use a E3 Flasher to downgrade it as the 60GB PS3 model has NAND flash memory. In order to downgrade NAND systems you'll need a Progskeet. Which requires soldering. (Although I believe there's a solderless clip out there but I haven't heard much about it.)

I'm unsure if you'd be able to backup the PS1 and PS2 discs using the PS3 itself unless it's a backwards compatible unit. You'd be able to play them however by downloading them in the form of PS1/PS2 Classics. You'd be able to backup PS3 games just fine.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
E3 Flasher doesn't work on that PS3. Downgrading NAND-based PS3 is more tricky than NOR-based PS3. Have someone else do it for you instead (which soldering is required). There are some members on PS3 Hax that charges a fee to downgrade PS3.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. How would I transfer isos to the internal hard drive? Like do I just put the game disc in and it'll backup? Or do I have to use a PC? Also is 3k3y difficult to install? Does it require soldering?
ODE cannot use internal HDD. You must use external USB drive.

You can rip PS1 and PS2 ISO using your PC with a DVD drive. To rip PS3 ISO you must either buy additional Ripp3r board and another spare PS3 optical drive, use a PS3 with CFW to rip, or simply download ISO from the web.

Your PS3 model does not require soldering for ODE.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ODE cannot use internal HDD. You must use external USB drive.

You can rip PS1 and PS2 ISO using your PC with a DVD drive. To rip PS3 ISO you must either buy additional Ripp3r board and another spare PS3 optical drive, use a PS3 with CFW to rip, or simply download ISO from the web.

Your PS3 model does not require soldering for ODE.

Okay. An external hard drive is fine. Hmm it seems like it would be simpler to just download the ps3 iso from the web. It'll probably take 2 days for 1 game with my slow ass internet lol. Cool. I'll watch a youtube video for how to install it. Thanks for answering all these questions. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: