Hacking How should I exploit a 9.0u N3DS?

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I've been lurking for years since back in the Acekard days. I have an old 3ds on 4.2 and a gateway with a ton of cia games on it. I bought a 9.0u N3DS off of Ebay and I'm a bit confused on which exploit to use on it.

I heard of an Ocarina exploit, I heard of RXTools, I own a Gateway myself.

I have some questions, which is the best exploit? How can I play GBA games like Sonic Advance on it? How to transfer my CIA's and savegames from the old to new 3ds? And are there any guides for the exploits? *I don't own Cubic N or Ocarina.

Thanks

D

Deleted-236924

You should be able to run the browser exploit for running homebrew launcher which should allow you to run Emunand9Tool, Decrypt9, rxTools, CakesFW... anything you may want to run, really.
Through browserhax you can install menuhax to allow for offline access to homebrew launcher, and with CTRBootManager, you can autoboot directly into your preferred CFW (I use rxTools on O3DS, I heard Cakes was recommended over rxTools for N3DS but rxTools most of the important features work as intended on N3DS.)

Transferring saves you would have to back them up with svdt in homebrew launcher or SaveDataFiler, then restore them to your N3DS after re-installing the games. Sadly I do not think you can transfer save files for GBA VC or DSiWare so I hope you didn't have any of those installed with important save files you don't want to lose. That is, unless I'm wrong and someone can tell me how it would be done.

You play GBA games by either... well, N3DS can handle gpSP-libretro fairly well and I hear it runs the vast majority of GBA games full speed on N3DS, but otherwise you could use 3DS Simple GBA Converter to create GBA VC titles of any GBA game, and you can install those as .cia
You need to install them to both sysnand and emunand if you want to play them off emunand, or you can install them only to sysnand and run them from sysnand. In both cases they need to be on sysnand though.
On O3DS, rxTools patched AGB_FIRM on the fly, but that feature isn't supported on N3DS yet I don't think, and I don't think CakesFW supports it either. You will have to manually patch AGB_FIRM and install it over the old one using FBI to uninstall the old one and install the patched one in its place. You can use this guide to do it. Be careful when deleting the old AGB_FIRM so you don't delete an important system title which may brick your 3DS.

(P.S.: patched AGB_FIRM must be installed to sysnand. I'm not sure if it needs to also be installed to emunand.)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Marx7

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice. So BrowserHax it first, then Menuhax and all the other homebrew apps afterwards. Similiar to Letterbomb on the Wii.
I get I can transfer saves too, but can I transfer the CIA games from one sd card to another or reinstall them one by one?

And then...what happens to Gateway now?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
And then...what happens to Gateway now?
gw can coexist with stuff like rxtools, but we cannot boot gw using stuff homemenuhax unfortunately.
i think gw is the best result and features, but free rxtools + booting from a cold boot is very beautiful.
if you still want to use gw you can.

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I checked some guides related to the link above. My old 3ds gateway emunand is on 9.8. I guess an emunand to emunand system transfer may be impossible.

When I set up the emunand on the N3DS, am I supposed to get a firmware in the system settings with a different name like "GW3D 10.0u" or something? And should the emunand update to 10.0u? *hoping not to get locked out.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked some guides related to the link above. My old 3ds gateway emunand is on 9.8. I guess an emunand to emunand system transfer may be impossible.

When I set up the emunand on the N3DS, am I supposed to get a firmware in the system settings with a different name like "GW3D 10.0u" or something? And should the emunand update to 10.0u? *hoping not to get locked out.

Your emunand is an exact copy of your sysnand so it will have the exact same version as your sysnand when you create it GW3D 9.0.0-20U

And you can't update it to 10.3, the maximum emunand can be updated in the N3DS is 9.5, anything above it will brick due to the 9.6 encryption.

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And you can't update it to 10.3, the maximum emunand can be updated in the N3DS is 9.5, anything above it will brick due to the 9.6 encryption.

Phew, thanks for letting me know. I might update my progress by this week.

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: I followed the guide and got the HBL working.

I installed FBI directly to the sysnand before making an emunand, opps. I was still at the part of making RXTools work, but the 3ds cameras have been disabled. Anytime I try to open the camera app, the system gets an error. It seems the super stable 3d camera is disabled too. Now I can't access HBL through browserhax or use cubic ninja for gateway installation. How can I fix this?

Edit: Huh, I typed the browserhax website in without the qr code. Access to HBL again. Should I delete FBI on the systemnand? I

Last edited by Marx7,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I usually recommend people to install FBI in sysnand with PastaCFW since it is really easy before creating emunand so it will transfer to emunand automatically when you create it.

But this shouldn't have messed anything with the cameras or the super stable 3D since they aren't tied in anything, don't know what's that about.

Did you do anything else?

Marx7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I usually recommend people to install FBI in sysnand with PastaCFW since it is really easy before creating emunand so it will transfer to emunand automatically when you create it.

I did that. In order to get FBI to work, I put the dbs files in the 3ds folder. I went to system settings, data management, and then it fixed the data for me. After that, the cameras got disabled and the 3d is now ghosting when turned on.

Also in the sysnand next to the settings, FBI supposed to be there but the app shows up empty and disappears...

Last edited by Marx7,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did that. In order to get FBI to work, I put the dbs files in the 3ds folder. I went to system settings, data management, and then it fixed the data for me. After that, the cameras got disabled and the 3d is now ghosting when turned on.

Also in the sysnand next to the settings, FBI supposed to be there but the app shows up empty and disappears...

FBI won't run without pasta in sysnand.
Just follow my tutorial (see signature) to set up your n3ds and you're done. It's not outdated like the other one you were linked to.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality