Homebrew How safe is it to hack the 3ds nowadays?

Zacruz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive heard about nintendo being on a crusade against roms and hacks. Is it safe to hack the 3ds nowadays?

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
probably legality due to the mention of Nintendo's crusade. And my response is: if you think is..then go right ahead. If you don't then don't do it.

We're not going to be your moral compass. There's an unspoken rule about piracy here that it goes without saying. We don't need to know what faction you are

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: Ryccardo and Itzumi

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long you follow every step of https://3ds.hacks.guide/ it's safe.
If you try to do it following some random youtube video or some other guide, you'll likely be back here crying to us about your brick.

Hacking your console is still better than leaving it unhacked. You can run homebrew apps and emulators. Also, hacking your console will allow you to install CIAs if you want to pirate games.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Op here. Safe as in not getting my system bricked.
Yeah that won't happen as long as you pay attention and think things through. The guide AlexanderLS sent is what everyone recommends, and boot9strap is so safe you can recover from almost everything.

Last edited by NFates,

lukepc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Op here. Safe as in not getting my system bricked.
Definitely safe. Make sure to use 3ds.hacks.guide and follow all of the instructions carefully. Boot9strap made everything a whole lot safer and there's very low chance of bricking. Even if you did happen to brick, it's most likely recoverable.

Reactions: Itzumi
D

Deleted User

It's safe...................as long as you throw your localfriendcodeseed_b off to the side to prevent getting your unique seed banned

Reactions: Itzumi
D

Deleted User

It's really safe (and stable...) you won't brick unless you are an idiot and dont use eshop/freeshop as downloading games will flag you and you have a risk of a ban. Playing out of region titles risks a ban but its so unlikely. Don't cheat either. And if you are really too scared, you can either not hack your 3ds, or you can do it but stay offline. Piracy is safe if you install cias from the internet (like that iso site) instead of e/freeshop. I hacked my 3ds as well and theres nothing really bad about it. Theres more advantages than disadvantages. Well, I hoped I helped! Just remember to follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/ as its completely safe and its literally the bible to hacking ur 3ds. Don't follow video tutorials as they get quickly outdated and maybe even unsafe.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hacking the system itself is extremely safe nowadays and there's literally no risk of a brick happening*. Honestly I feel like it's safer now to have a hacked system because the benefits outweigh the risks. The exploits are installed so deep into the system that bricking becomes a near impossibility, coupled with the benefit of being able to unban yourself if you do get banned.
As for legal issues. Unless you are extremely careless and pirating literally hundreds of games at a time, it's extremely unlikely that the Big N will go after you. They are going the sources providing the ROMs, not the people downloading them. Although if you going completely legal and just dumping your own games, then you are 100% safe from any legal issues.

*There has been no recorded legitimate bricks caused by any of the tools involved with installing B9S. There have only been issues attributed to user error.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In regards of bricking, i think the brick rate is 1 in a million. It's really hard to brick because the instructions are munched to the literal easiest thing, anyone can understand, even a newcomer in homebrew overall. If you're talking about piracy, it depends. It's illegal in most counties (if not all) but won't cause you a ban (unless you mess with the CDN). Some places can get you "sued" (if your internet provider detects you're downloading copyrighted content they give you a tax to pay? I'm unsure of how it works, but i think it's something like that.) but apart from that, everything is flowers. I don't think there's a reason not to hack your device. It really opens a lot of doors (and i think backups are legal, they could potentially only break Nintendo's ToS in regards of hacking your system to do it, but apart from that i think it's 100% legal or, at the very least, in a grey area.)

(I think i got massively Ninja'd. Anyways, hope it helped :P)

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what localfriendcodeseed_b is?
it's a fancy console-unique file, ninty uses it to check if you're banned

for example, let's say you get your lcfs_b banned somehow. when you try going online, ninty checks the lcfs_b on your 3DS and goes "nope, ur b&"
however, some people put theirs online and let other people use it if they got banned. these public lcfs_bs usually get banned sooner or later, but before that happens you can put one on a banned 3DS and ninty's servers will go "ok ur not banned now go & have fun"
if you don't put yours online, ninty can't really detect hax and won't ban you.

Rickyb2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a old 3ds xl with 4.0.2 firmware, do i have advantage to upgrade to 9.2 or 11 before to hack?

I want to play ds, 2ds, 3ds games... soundhax look to be the way to go but i am not sure...

Can i have your feedback on it?

Last edited by Rickyb2000,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I got a old 3ds xl with 4.0.2 firmware, do i have advantage to upgrade to 9.2 or 11 before to hack?

I want to play ds, 2ds, 3ds games... soundhax look to be the way to go but i am not sure...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Follow the guide and don’t bump dead threads
https://3ds.hacks.guide/
Everything is pretty much converted in the Guide for literally every setup

Rickyb2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have read this guide, but i see nowhere the advantage list to use different firmware. It is better to stay on a old firmware or go to a new one..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte