How Safe Are These and How Long do They Last?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TheFlameCrow, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TheFlameCrow
    OP

Newcomer TheFlameCrow Newbie

United States
    I'm paranoid as hell lol, anyway are these cards safe to use? Can they harm your DS in any way?

Also how long is the usual life span on non-bootleg cards? I'm thinking of getting an Acekard.

2. Bluelaserman

Member Bluelaserman I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!

Australia
    I presume your talking about flashcards, and most of them are safe. Just try not to buy clones, as they have a higher risk of damaging your DS. Acekards seem to be the most popular choice to choose as a flashcard.

3. TheFlameCrow
    OP

United States
    So if I get an Acekard, my DS should be ok? As it is now the speakers seem to be dying (or it could be a lose connection, I'm not sure...) It's a pretty old Phat DS after all.

I have like a million questions to make sure I buy the right stuff and all lol.

Do I need to get a specific micro SD card? I see this "class" stuff, I dunno what that means.

4. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    all of the flashcards cannot harm your DS it just that you can't play some ROM and don't support the save function....
    you can get the AceKard/ R4(remember don't buy clones!)/ M3/ EDGE/ Cyclo DS/ etc

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    The "class" refers to the write speed, so Class 2 is 2mB/sec, Class 4 is 4mB/sec, and Class 6, 6mB/sec I believe.

Most microSDs should be fine, but it's good to go with a recognised brand like SanDisk, Kingston or Transcend. If you want to play some games that need a high write speed, make sure you get a card that can handle it. (Castlevania: PoR I hear is a problem game for some cards, but I've never played it, and don't intend to)

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Some of them can cause a short, but only the really crappy clones.

7. Whipple

Member Whipple GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you go with a known card (Acekard is very popular and I have had a great experience with mine) from a reputable dealer (the ones that support GBAtemp would be a good choice) you really can't go wrong. Getting a flashcart for my DS was one of the best moves that I have done in a long time. It will open up a whole new world of homebrew to you.

Make you best choice and go for it!
    I think your only regret will be that you did not get that flashcart much earlier.

Have fun and enjoy!

8. TheFlameCrow
    OP

United States
    I own PoR, so I think I'm ok there. [​IMG]

Thanks for all the replies guys. [​IMG]

9. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I would get an Acekard or M3, dont get an R4 I have one and although they may be cheap they don't work with many new games straight away and you have to do complicated YSMenu stuff to make them work and as your a first time user it might be beyond you. You used to be able to damage your DS when installing Flashme but now none of the carts require this so your pretty much fine. Lifespan is the same as an ordinary cart unless you get a fake one and im not sure what you mean by non bootleg if your thinking of getting an Acekard

10. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    I have a real R4 with a 2GB microsd and its probably about 4-5 years old and it works great...the only issue I ever have, which is quite rare, maybe happened about 5 or 6 times total, sometimes the DS doesn't recognize the cart and it boots to the DS menu...I have a fat DS still btw. You have to get a flashcart if you own a DS its necessary

11. ninchya

Member ninchya GBAtemp Regular

United States
    they are totally safe exept clones as some1 previously states and the only unsafe ness about flashcarts is FBI knocking down on ur door for pirating or The Addictiveness of Flsahcarts and playing all nighters as soon as u get it LAWL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] oh ya welcome to the community

12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I own the games I run, I still like to use cheats (offline and for fun), to keep my games on one card, and backup my saves [​IMG]

13. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    the n5 wil blow a fuse in your ds [​IMG] so don't buy it

14. TheFlameCrow
    OP

United States
    n5? I don't even know what that one is.

15. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    I would just like to point out that most flashcarts are not designed entirely with nintendo specifications and they guarantee nothing, so there can be various issues with them. Some flashcarts overheat, some have contact issues, and so on. The good news is the carts are not known to damage DS consoles themselves in any way, although here and there you get a user with weird problems.

How long they can last? Since most don't come with a warranty, it's mostly hit&miss with expectations. It should be a year or more with known brands of carts though, although they have been going cheap lately. Acekard 2 has a 1 year warranty, so I guess they expect it to work at least that long...