Hardware How reliable are the phat models?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see at my pawn store a 60gb BC phat (hdd upgraded to 500gb) ps3 with modded internal fans asked the guy to turn it on and it's firmware was 3.01fw and was wondering if I should buy it for $125 never had a first gen phat to see how they run only the HL model fatty for a month then sold it with my 50 something games.

I currently own a super slim I would be buying it because I would like to not only have a hacked ps3 but also be able to play my ps2 games again.

The system has had repair to the termal compound with artic sliver back in october and the mod with it. It's been used a bit going by that.

Should I buy it or stay away since it's old?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also like to ad that I never opened up or screwed around with any model ps3 if I would need to meaning I would be taking a huge risk on my part... yeah.

Ace212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phat models are good for hacking, as all of them can be downgrades using a E3 Flasher or something else, but through my experience they aren't the most reliable. The phat PS3s (at least certain models, like mine) are susceptable to the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death), basically due to lack of proper cooling. If that happens, you will have to get your system reballed, which basically means they replace the solder balls that hold the CPU in place and help it make contact with the board so it can transfer data, get power, etc. Sometimes, depending on some reballers, it can be more money than the system is even worth, so it really depends.

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tom Bombadildo need your advice here since you would know more.

Also what should I look for signs of failing in ps3s that have been used. I really don't know how to tell when it's on.

Last edited by jDSX,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm not entirely sure why you'd think I know more, I'm not that knowledgeable with PS3s :P

But, phat PS3s are usually ok so long as you're not leaving them in an enclosed area with no airflow/on a carpet blocking vents or something dumb like that. Since the thermal paste was replaced, it's more than likely going to run fine now unless whomever did it fucked it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.