How reliable are the permanent rrod fixes?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by CorruptJon, Sep 1, 2008.

Sep 1, 2008
  1. CorruptJon
    OP

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    My friend has an xbox 360 with rrod just sitting in his garage, and he said he'd sell me it for 30 bucks. I know there are some fixes out there, but how reliable are they? If I buy it, I'd probably just fix it and then resell it, so would it be worth it?

2. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    There are no sure fire fixes. Anyone who tells you there are, is talking bull. If its less than three years old ( which it should be as they were first released in Nov 2005), Microsoft will fix if for free. They take ages to do it though... I have had my Xbox fixed and replaced 4 times by them, in the end they gave up and gave me a new one. If Microsoft cant fix it for certain then as I said I doubt if anyone else can, but why bother if you can get it done for free

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The penny fix and the x-clamp fix could bring it back but only for a little while.

You work out the maths see if you make a profit. Those two fix's are cheap to do.

4. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Even if the warranty is voided, Microsoft will probably still fix it for cash...I'd do it.

5. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    All xbox 360's have a three year warranty because of the rrod problem, they only came out in Nov 2005, read it here :-

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemse...rantyupdate.htm

so all of them are in date and should get repaired for free. whats the point in trying to fix it yourself, voiding the warranty and then paying to get it fixed, when all you have to do is ring Microsoft and get it fixed for free. The penny fix, the x-clamp fix and the stupid one with the blanket do not work, you would have better luck just thumping the thing and hoping for the best. Just ring Microsoft quote the serial number and they will collect and return it to you for free. Nuff said

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If you get the x-clamp fix right, the xbox should work for a while. Its not meant to be a pertinent fix, but it'll probably run for a few months. Most of the people that x-clamp, have x-clamped because they've flashed the drive and therefore voided the warranty.

7. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    For $30, go for it. You can probably fix it and resell it for 3 digits if you do it right.

8. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    In fact, I just got an Xbox 360 for free from my roommate. It also had the RROD and I sent it to MS. They sent it back and it was fixed free of charge because it had the RROD. I don't think it matters how old it is. My roommate had bought it used and we have no idea how old it was.

Edit: Whoops. I meant to quote funem not deathfisaro.

9. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I wouldn't send it to MS if it's RROD'ed and been sitting in his friend's garage for a while, it probably has one of the older drives that can be easily flashed without any extra tools like passkey.

10. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i fixed about 20 rrod consoles and it never came back.

you should remove both xclamps and replace them with m5 screws.
    search for my other posts for a complete howto.