how noob is this..?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by kidkawaii, Apr 16, 2008.

Apr 16, 2008

how noob is this..? by kidkawaii at 4:25 AM (2,839 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. kidkawaii
    OP

Newcomer kidkawaii Member

Canada
    i cant find any conclusive information on which products can emulate GBA roms on the NDS.

ive basically gotten as far as i require a slot-2 device (recommendations?) such as ez3in1 in order to do so, but no two sites will confirm the same information.

i would like a definitive answer, some recommendations of hardware and possibly a link to a decent resource.

help anyone?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You cannot emulate GBA games on the DS at all. You can however run them directly on the machine in GBA mode (there's a difference) but you're right in that a slot-2 device is needed.

If you already have a slot-1 device, then the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack is a great way to add GBA compatibility for a cheap price. If you don't already have a slot-1 device, it's useless to you and you'd need a standalone slot-2 device like an M3 Perfect or EZ-Flash IV.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    with all that said you should grab rudolph's gba loader for the 3-in-1 and make sure the slot1 card you have is supported: http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds...pLoader_056.zip. i do believe he lists supported cards in english at the top of the readme file.

there is also the eWin RAM expansion pack that can be used to play GBA, and if i'm not mistaken rudolph's loader supports that card now. it is cheaper in cost, but i have read about numerious problems with it. the 3-in-1 is nice because it is a GBA kit, a RAM kit (opera browser, homebrew: quakeIIDS, dslinux), and a rumble pack. although i've heard that the rumble is loud and a bit annoying.

you can get the 3-in-1 from dealextreme:
    $19.79 for the black version w/free shipping: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967
    $19.23 for the white version w/free shipping: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1894

goodluck,
    -another world

4. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    You could also just get a standalone Slot 2 cart.
    The EZIV is a good card.

5. kidkawaii
    OP

Canada
    as long as i can play any of these 2400roms im happy even without knowing the specifics of the difference.. ;P

if all i want is to play gba games what good would a slot1 device be? (iow, what function, if any, can be provided via the slot1 for my uses?)

does the EZ V work as a stand alone cart?..or just the EZ IV?

and lastly, DEFINITIVELY the only hardware i would require to get the roms running on my nds is the EZ IV? no other cards im not aware of?

-cheers

6. Another World

Colombia
    the issue being how good is a slot2 device. if you just want gba games then just get a slot2 kit. but most of the slot2 kits have compatibility issues with it comes to nds roms. slot2 has been left behind as most of the companies move to slot1. all of the companies are well aware of the homebrew scene. they know that the 3-in-1 can be used with most if not all of the slot1 kits. so why even offer a slot2 card anymore? slot2 passme is an old method that is now outdated.

-another world

7. DanTheManMS

United States
    If you only want this for the GBA, then get a dedicated slot-2 device, not the 3in1 expansion pack. If you do this and later want to add DS compatibility, you'll need to get a slot-1 NoPass in order to boot it into DS mode (this includes the EZ-IV).

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Not true. The M3 perfect, although it is a bit expensive, has great NDS compatibility.
    I don't see how that matters much to the OP though since he already has a dedicated slot1 card for NDS.
    Get the EZIV if you want reliable GBA. M3 if you have a bit extra to spend and want to tinker around with a few options.
    Stay away from any Supercards, as they're shit for GBA games.

9. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    cant "convert" gba roms->to play on nds.

10. kidkawaii
    OP

Canada
    im probably leaning towards the EZIV (the company states that the EZV supports gba but all i keep hearing from users is that it does not)

in future i'd like to pick up an m3 for scumm on the nds. any way to kill two birds with one stone off this supported hardware list?
    http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#cardreadernotes

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    The EZ-V is a slot-1 device, and all slot-1 devices can run DS files only, no GBA. You're probably getting confused with the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack, which is a slot-2 addon pack that was originally made to work with the slot-1 EZ-V cart but can now be used on all carts via GBA ExpLoader.

12. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    You could always buy the M3 Real Perfect Bundle. It comes with a slot 1 device and its own slot 2 which plays GBA games. Seems to me to be the most user-friendly solution.

13. Day2Day

Newcomer Day2Day Newbie

United States
    Actually, I just bought an 3-in1 Expansion pack, and it works like a freaking charm! It's not supposed to run GBA games, but if you set it to the NOR, you'll be able to run it... so i really recommend it... It only cost me $20 and it came in 3 days with the cheapest shipping...

Link:nxpgame.com

5% discount - coupon code: a2007

14. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I want you to go get your 3-in-1, and read the sticker for me. It should say something like EZ-Flash V for NDS; gba game/ram expansion/rumble pack. It is the express purpose of the 3-in-1 to play GBA games, and if they don't work in PSRAM, there's probably something wrong with yours. That or you're trying to write 32MB ROMs to 16MB of PSRAM.

15. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Dealextreme.com has several great slot 2 options for under 25 bucks shipped. [​IMG].

I'll be getting a slot 2 from them soon.

16. Another World

Colombia
    my m3 lite has very good compatibility for nds running in slot2, i would not say its great. many roms are not support or require fixes. the team has stopped updating the loader and mentioned to me a number of times that they have no intentions to make an update. he asked about features and the usefulness a slot2 that is why i mentioned what i did.

-another world