Hardware How nintendo should address 2nd analog pad and battery life

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is how i think Nintendo should make the second analog pad accessory. Instead of having it be extremely bulky and very ugly, it should be something like this:
3dsanalogredesign.jpg

This would solve the battery problem, and you would be able to close the DS with this because the analog pad would be detachable and you would be able to slide it into the back. similar to a stylus.
what do you guys think? the addition would be atleast as thick as HALF the bottom part of the 3ds.

D

Deleted_171835

If I'm correct, it connects using the IR port so that wouldn't work.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just know that Nintendo will make a revision, definitely having more efficient 3D screens. Will it have an additional analog? That I'm not sure on. I hope so.

The concept of your design is pretty neat. I know you designed this with the form factor in mind, but what if the detachable analog gets lost? Having to whip it out every time you turn on your game and taking it off every time you turn it off? It would be a lot easier if the analog was already there.

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it doesn't use IR. Its connected to the bottom right corner. And in theory you would be able to buy the analog piece on its own. I should have added a strap like thing attached to the analog pad connected to the ds for people who are afraid of losing it. And half the size of the bottom part should be all you need. It doesn't require a huge circuit board or anything. If you've seen the analog chips they're pretty small for their size.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The current 3DS slider on the left side takes up the entire depth of the device, meaning for something similar like that, you'd be adding that depth "on top" of the area you're proposing the slider would be. While it might work still, it would obscure the use of the face button for people who position their thumbs at an angle when holding their 3DS (because now you've got a block in the way). Use of those going "around" the slider would require thumb positioning to be horizontal, which isn't very pleasant, especially when using the R button.

And how would it communicate with the 3DS? The only available options are the IR port, or via WiFi. The charger port only handles charging of the battery. It does not have communication capabilities.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. How is the nintendo one going to even work? i am there isnt a usb port on the system so what the hell are they going to do to connect to the 3ds? the only think i can think of is IR. Which if so then it will only be software base. So only some games will support it.

But if it is Ir base then you can also move things around and do it up custom.
But i guess we will just see how all this unflops when it comes out. I just hope damn nintendo doesnt come out with another 3ds around x-mas that has 2 sliders build in

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
discostew. the chip, if assempled correctly, should be pretty small and not such an obstruction. its UNDER the face buttons and your reasoning doesnt make sense. if xbox 360 players can play with this type of setup then so can you or whoever else knows how to hold a handheld properly.

well whatever way it would work on however nintendo is planning to make their addon work is how this one might work. once again this is just a design/sketch to make something not as ugly, smaller and keep its portability, and kill 2 birds with one stone (analog pad problem AND battery life issue)

maybe i should just create a prototype on 3d studio max. it would make things a lot clearer than a sketch.

if nintendo WERE to come out with a 3ds remake around xmas time (which they wont anytime soon) they would lose A LOT of loyal customers and would lose even more money than they planned to earn. unless they offer an exchange with perhaps a very small additional fee for the upgrade.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Klightx15 said:
discostew. the chip, if assempled correctly, should be pretty small and not such an obstruction. its UNDER the face buttons and your reasoning doesnt make sense. if xbox 360 players can play with this type of setup then so can you or whoever else knows how to hold a handheld properly.

Xbox360wired.jpg

Can you see how thick the XBox 360 controller analog input is? Imagine that sticking out in that spot. That is the problem. Also consider the XBox 360 controller's right analog stick is not directly below the face buttons, but also to the left a bit

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg you're retarded. thats an xbox 360 controller. of course its gonna be fuckin huge. go take apart a 3ds and look at its mechanism. you argument is completely invalid.
sku_67562_1_small.jpg

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Klightx15 said:
omg you're retarded. thats an xbox 360 controller. of course its gonna be fuckin huge. go take apart a 3ds and look at its mechanism. you argument is completely invalid.
sku_67562_1_small.jpg

And the slider takes the entire depth of the unit in a box-shape container, which in this case is being placed on top, not inside. The fact that it is an attachment also means it needs to be sturdy, and that leads to it being even thicker. There won't be any paper-thin protection here.

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
once again, what the hell are you talking about? this is supposed to be a case like attachment to the bottom with a socket that fits the analog pad.

look at an old ipod charger. the piece that connects to the ipod. thats about the size of the analog (thickness wise) that was sturdy enough and the hooks and side buttons is where i got the idea.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Klightx15 said:
once again, what the hell are you talking about? this is supposed to be a case like attachment to the bottom with a socket that fits the analog pad.

look at an old ipod charger. the piece that connects to the ipod. thats about the size of the analog (thickness wise) that was sturdy enough and the hooks and side buttons is where i got the idea.

Yes, but that also is already encased, whereas the slider you displayed is not. The 3DS outer casing complements the already existing slider, but for such sturdiness with this attachment idea of yours, it would require it's own, which in turn would make it even thicker than the ipod charger. The pad on the existing slider is extended out so the physical unit that reads the input would have protection, so the same would be required for this as well.

QUOTE(chartube12 @ Sep 9 2011, 02:35 PM) ...Plus the 3ds has bluetooth....

No it doesn't.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how the consept sketch couldnt possibly be more disorganized and confusing,Also the idea wouldnt work the only way the 3DS could communicate would be wireless since im pretty sure that IR port cant take in data. Also it has a touch screen ya know :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Yes.