Gaming How Nintendo killed interest in 3DS

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
failure-to-launch-how-nintendo-killed-3ds-interest-in-9-easy-steps-20110603111012428.jpg
[/p]

Source

Not going to lie, it's true. Nintendo really did bomb with the launch of the 3DS. I want one, but I'm not dying for it like I have been with past consoles. Also, I don't recall reading about some press release saying those complaints are fake.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure if this is really news as much as it is to be discussion in the 3DS section.

Regardless, I feel like Nintendo has been drifting towards a more isolationist approach. Some third party devs flourish on the system from shovelware but otherwise it's mostly Nintendo whose getting the market. It's why I find myself drifting away towards Sony and the like more. There's just more diversity, especially once Nintendo franchises have begun losing their appeal to me.

EDIT: My giant issue is that for $250, I can buy most other systems and get mostly the same (or better versions) of its games. SSFIV? I can buy a Xbox 360 and Arcade Edition for cheaper. MGS3D? I can buy a PS2 and it for a lot cheaper or a Xbox 360 and the compilation for cheaper (with better graphics, and two more awesome games). Ocarina of Time? I can get a Wii and buy it off the Virtual Console for a lot cheaper.

Plus there's been nothing immediately compelling for me on the handheld front. Basically unless it gets like Dissidia or something, I won't bother with it. At least until the price drops to like sub-$150.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm not quite sure if this is really news as much as it is to be discussion in the 3DS section.

Regardless, I feel like Nintendo has been drifting towards a more isolationist approach. Some third party devs flourish on the system from shovelware but otherwise it's mostly Nintendo whose getting the market. It's why I find myself drifting away towards Sony and the like more. There's just more diversity, especially once Nintendo franchises have begun losing their appeal to me.
Hmph, that seems like Sony and me with the PS3. That relationship plummet is still going on today.

Honestly, none of these things really lessened my interest, they don't rally seem that unappealing to me.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a 3ds until at least some decent games come out not nincrapdogs and shitty submarine games! but by the time this happens it will prob be fully emulated and i'll just play the games on that
laugh.gif

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
Negative news over exaggerated. Positive news under exaggerated.

3 million+ isn't selling? Then nothing is.
tongue.gif

Given it's been three months, and the DSi and PSP are selling better.. yeah, it's not selling.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly i was so excited for the 3DS and now I just decided to stick with my Ds Lite. I can't afford the 3DS since it costs more than every video game system in my house (not kidding, Mike got his Wii on sale, so even the wii was cheaper.) And right now no game seems to be really that interesting until later.
Nintendo fucked up this time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
KingVamp said:
Negative news over exaggerated. Positive news under exaggerated.

3 million+ isn't selling? Then nothing is.
tongue.gif

Given it's been three months, and the DSi and PSP are selling better.. yeah, it's not selling.
You mean with all the discounts going on?

Plus what is proof that 3DS hasn't continue to sell?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
sonknuck23 said:
I love the shit out of my 3DS, but at the same time I haven't touched it in like, 3 weeks.

Same here i have to say, when OoT is released that will change for a few weeks but then i'm sure it won't be touched again for a while.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh well, NGP is coming, time to kill the 3DS
tongue.gif

I bought mine day one, I still don't own any game but I'm fine with that.
I bought the 3DS for nintendo licence, not for the 3rd party, so I'm a little disappointed in the fact that nintendo "focus" on 3rd party, again...
I also bought the DS fat day one, and I never regretted it, let's hope I won't this time too.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
...Nintendo really did bomb with the launch of the 3DS. ...

Hmm...well, I humbly disagree. Some of the points made in the artwork are valid, but Nintendo had no control over the natural disaster that occurred right around the time of the system's launch. I do believe it was a mitigating factor. Outside of that, I think they're playing a very specific hand. All the things mentioned point to the fact that a lot of what hasn't happened yet for the 3DS hasn't happened right before E3. I think after the show we might understand more clearly why that is.

I don't think the system bombed, I am disappointed with some of the promise that has yet to be realized, but I also believe the best is yet to come. Nintendo aren't new at this. I think it will hit its stride and hit it hard. This may be the last generation of dedicated handheld gaming before Nintendo moves into a more general device with only a strong focus on gaming (mobile devices Nintendo-style), but I think there's still room for them to hit one out of the park.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bladexdsl said:
i have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a 3ds until at least some decent games come out not nincrapdogs and shitty submarine games! but by the time this happens it will prob be fully emulated and i'll just play the games on that
laugh.gif
^this

crap lineup of games gave it a rough start imo

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched mine since I finished find mii sometime in May. I don't like the games that are out and after playing Duke Nukem Forever Demo I'm going to buy it so 3ds games will have to wait. I may pick some stuff up on the eShop but it depends on if I find it worth it.

Edit:
The last point on that is a big one for me. Nintendo shouldn't have held back so they could have a good e3.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, I did enjoy the fuck out of SSFIV: 3D and it did motivate me to get the PS3 ver. and start practicing, and SOMETIMES when I'm on the metro heading to work I DO play Training mode on my 3DS, but for the most part, yeah, I don't use it.

I am getting OoT 3D, though, and I'm sure I'll love that until I beat it haha

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
also the wii2 with a 6" touch screen and a camera and battery ect.......didn't help that much
lets just hope that the wii2 controller is actually the 3ds
and id like to point out that the more games/firm-updates will come the more 3ds will sells
alsoooooooo just wait until the 3ds is hacked ..........the sales will go x30

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
NahuelDS said:
*subjective opinion*

No. Just... no. The time of consoles sold for a single game passed and shall not be missed. To stay afloat nowadays, the console needs to offer great hardware capabilities and top-notch applications other than just "games". The 3DS fails miserably as far as the battery life, games library, built-in applications and hardware is concerned. Hell, they can't even make a decent media player for the system. I'm sorry, but I'm not waiting for Pokemon. I'm waiting for the 3DS lite that will hopefuly wipe the stain of crappy battery and flimsy case design. By the time it's out, there should be a library of games available, but I'm afraid I'll be too busy with the NGP to really bother all that much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient