How much to pay for modded PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Superstarsaga, Aug 5, 2007.

Aug 5, 2007
  1. Superstarsaga
    OP

Newcomer Superstarsaga Member

United States
    Hey guys, I was wondering how much to pay for a PSP with custom Firmware 3.40oea, and a 4 gb memory stick pro duo. He says that modded PSPs are worth a lot, but I know that's not true (ebay and stuff). How much do you think I should offer? I can probably get less if I argue that the new PSP is coming out soon. Thanks,

2. square

Member square The Professor

United States
    Used PSP's are around $130 US and the Memory Card 4gb run about $80, or on sale closer to $60. Anything over $200 isn't worth it as with the Lumines exploit, downgrading is easy.

Hope this helps

3. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Modded psps are not worth that much since the lumines downgrade. So this guy is lying to you. I would not offer him that much for it, the 4gig stick is only good if its a sandisk gaming version. If not, you are better off buying a brand new original psp. And like you said the new psp version is coming out, but the only thing is it might not be that hackable, if sony has anything to do with it, just have to wait and see.

4. Superstarsaga
    OP

United States
    thanks guys

5. Superstarsaga
    OP

United States
    whats the difference between a gaming memory stick and a not gaming one?

6. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    whats the difference between a gaming memory stick and a not gaming one?

[/quote]
    Probably the read speed. My friend has what I guess is a non-gaming one (doesn't have the word gaming on it anywhere), and when he plays prince of persia off his ms, the cutscenes lag like hell.

7. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I think people would pay a little extra if they're the kind who is

1. new to the PSP console and heard about modding it but lack the Lumines game
    2. worried about bricking the handheld

It's going to be harder to convince people to pay more if they find out you can do it for cheap.

8. TheNeck

United States
    Make sure you get a gaming memory stick for sure, it does make a huge difference. Ive had my psp since it first came out, and ive never had any lag with any of the games i have tried.

If you have any more questions just let us know.

9. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Errr I've never heard anything saying that a gaming memory stick is any different to a non-gaming one...

The only difference as far as I'm aware is that the gaming ones look different, they have the exact same specs.

10. TheNeck

United States
    mc gui,

you might be right, but for me i noticed a big difference going from a 2gig non gaming to a 4gig gaming stick, i mean a very noticeable difference. but i might be wrong, just my own opinion.

11. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've never heard of lag problems in games because of the mem stick. The speed would have to do with load times and such. But I remember that Sony's gaming mem stick was slower than regular Sandisk ones. Not sure how much better Pro Duo's have gotten though...

I believe those warnings when using the hacks probably scare people the most. But with some of the stuff, like easy installers, it's really simple. I bought my PSP close to launch and never had any problems involving homebrew even before easier methods came about.

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Around £100 I'd pay. 4gb memory cards are so cheap now for an original one. Beware though that they arn't trying to flog you one of the fake 4gb memory cards.

13. [Jez]

Newcomer [Jez] Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I bought mine used, running 3.10OE with a 1gb stick for £80

14. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would not pay an extra for a modded Psp because I can do it myself for little extra. I picked up a copy of Lumines for £5 and I also have an unpatched copy of GTA. If you can get a copy of Lumines cheap then there is no need to pay any extra. You might even be able to get a new Psp online and save some money due to the differences in currency rate.

15. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    wait until the psp slim comes out. thats what i`m doing. couldnt be buggered getting a new psp atm.

16. Superstarsaga
    OP

United States
    yeah, but people have been saying that sony many change the hardware in some way that makes homebrew unrunable

17. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States

Sony has already attempted and indeed done this with the current Psp model when they released the new TA-082 Motherboards that black listed the 1.5 IPL with hardware based extra security to prevent downgrading to 1.5. Now look at the recent downgraders, they work on all of the ''protected'' Motherboards. Sony will have hardware based security on the new Psp slim but in time it will be circumvented.