Hacking Question how much times can we restore the nand of switch?

aerios169

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
well the only option to no be banned is restoring a clean nand before you use any hack, the problem is that i dont know how many times can we do it, its said that the creator of hekate doesnt recommend to do it many times but how much is that? 5 or 10 times or less.

also the best opcion and solution for this could be the emmunand but the is not date for it =/
fDKEkz

Last edited by aerios169,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked CTCaer about this and this was the response he gave me
You have to restore an abnormal number of times.
Normally eMMC life performance is around 2000-5000 writes per cell. I don't know exactly though. Manufactures tend to keep these figures a secret or using strange year expectancy calculations.

Depends on NAND chip type (the actual storage chip inside the eMMC), quality (binning) and manufacturers algorithms.
Samsung are the best currently. So the above number should be higher (still not sure though).

On the other hand, replacements are quite cheap. Around 10 dollars. And you can just restore the backup to a new one.

In the end, it's not a good idea to play often with a full write all the time. And a user must always keep this in mind.

Reactions: aerios169

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you reduce the life of your emmc chip not the switch its self.. Like he says you can buy another emmc chip package/ board and programme that.

Last edited by Canna,
Reactions: SirNapkin1334

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
well the only option to no be banned is restoring a clean nand before you use any hack, the problem is that i dont know how many times can we do it, its said that the creator of hekate doesnt recommend to do it many times but how much is that? 5 or 10 times or less.

also the best opcion and solution for this could be the emmunand but the is not date for it =/
10000 write cycles is the standard for NAND flash, that equals flashing the NAND 10000 times, but you have to consider that the Switch will consume some unknown number of write cycles throughout its life span, and will eventually fail if you plan on keeping it far into the future and coming back to it 10-20 years from now. So every time you flash the NAND it will shorten the life span a little, but it probably won't matter unless you do it multiple times per week.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fact that you need to write a clean copy of your nand each time is not true.
If you only ran cfw to launch hbl, and even if you get a crash with the latest sdfiles/creport, this doesn't leave trace. I am not talking about layered fs, that may leave some custom error code apparently.
Let's not talk about backup loading too...

aerios169

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but do we..
uhmmm well the scene, the actual problem is to no be banned

The fact that you need to write a clean copy of your nand each time is not true.
If you only ran cfw to launch hbl, and even if you get a crash with the latest sdfiles/creport, this doesn't leave trace. I am not talking about layered fs, that may leave some custom error code apparently.
Let's not talk about backup loading too...
well there arent somany things that we dont know like how nity detect us, some files are encripted and is know what them content, so the best option is restore the nand. if we could stop the telemetry of nity or a way to sent normal reports to the server, there would not be any problem.. the fact is that we cant

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well there arent somany things that we dont know like how nity detect us, some files are encripted and is know what them content, so the best option is restore the nand. if we could stop the telemetry of nity or a way to sent normal reports to the server, there would not be any problem.. the fact is that we cant

thats not a problem,Lol
Anyway im going to work on maybe a alternative to emunand, or something were we can have one clean and one dirty emmc

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

We can. Either block the nintendo sites, or a cfw for that.

thats not a problem,Lol
Anyway im going to work on maybe a alternative to emunand, or something were we can have one clean and one dirty emmc
I don't think it'd be worth it in the current state, as I said before.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't that just having the back off and swapping emmc chips? The benefit of emunand is you never have to open the case.

Yep thats hopefully what i plan to do, not open the case im going to look into this and see what i can come up with ok

Reactions: aerios169

Digitalcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest, I think it's pretty safe to do it as many times as you want lad, because I don't really think, unless you plan to, going to keep your switch for seven to eight years, within that time span we probably already have had a hardware revision, such as the New3DS to the 3DS and we'd be switching to that regardless. Even if you were to say, restore your nand daily, it would still take years for it to degrade to unworkable state.

Last edited by Digitalcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning