Hacking How much should I care about burning fuses...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You should care about it because it's irreversible and may reduce your capacity to manipulate firmware in the future, no matter what the current state of Switch modding is.

Reactions: mooglazer

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I do a NAND backup now while I'm on 4.1.0, then do an official update and burn fuses, I can't use that backup for a restore right?

You can, but it's basically useless at that point for anything exploit-related. (It's good to have for emergency recovery only.)

You want to keep your fuse count low for future-proofing - good stuff is coming, but your fuse count will need to be low to use it. The Switch has about 5-6 years left on it, so we're talking a lot of future hacks/exploits/etc that will need a low fuse count.

Not sure if you were around for it, but think of the lifetime of the Switch in the same terms as the 3DS. Keep that firmware low whenever possible.

You can try doing this (may not work):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-update-to-5-1-without-getting-banned.511040/#post-8136133

But you really should do this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Good luck out there

Reactions: slash#213

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses
Untitled.png

vstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have firmware 5.1.0 with 4 burnt fuses, which were updated from 3.0.2. I didn't follow rajkosto's complicated guide.

Easy method I used:
update switch normally -> put jig on and hold "volume +" -> install AutoRCM -> 5.1.0 with no burnt fuses during update.

1. Insert a exFAT microSD into Switch, Switch will ask to update to use exFAT format microSD. Click "update now", which will update to 5.1.0 normally as Switch should.
2. When Switch is downloading 5.1.0, put RCM jig on, do not remove it. You have to make sure your jig 100% works.
3. When download reaches 100%, it should prompt "installing updates", hold "volume +", do not release it.
4. After firmware install, Switch will restart itself. If you followed step 2-3, Switch will boot into black screen, which is RCM. You can remove jig and release "volume +" now.
5. Send hekate payload to your Switch, install AutoRCM, turn off Switch.
optional: 6. Put CFW files into your microSD. Boot into hekate again to check burnt fuses. Boot into CFW to play "backups"/homebrew, delete Wifi settings.

Pro: Easy, takes about 5 mins - exFAT ready - no PC needed, no driver/files mess on your PC.
Con: Have to update online, which is fine for me - after update, need AutoRCM all the time on 5.1.0. If you turn AutoRCM off, and boot without RCM, the fuses will burn.

Last edited by vstar,

alucard_xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have firmware 5.1.0 with 4 burnt fuses, which were updated from 3.0.2. I didn't follow rajkosto's complicated guide.

Easy method I used:
update switch normally -> put jig on and hold "volume +" -> install AutoRCM -> 5.1.0 with no burnt fuses during update.

1. Insert a exFAT microSD into Switch, Switch will ask to update to use exFAT format microSD. Click "update now", which will update to 5.1.0 normally as Switch should.
2. When Switch is downloading 5.1.0, put RCM jig on, do not remove it. You have to make sure your jig 100% works.
3. When download reaches 100%, it should prompt "installing updates", hold "volume +", do not release it.
4. After firmware install, Switch will restart itself. If you followed step 2-3, Switch will boot into black screen, which is RCM. You can remove jig and release "volume +" now.
5. Send hekate payload to your Switch, install AutoRCM, turn off Switch.
optional: 6. Put CFW files into your microSD. Boot into hekate again to check burnt fuses. Boot into CFW to play "backups"/homebrew, delete Wifi settings.

Pro: Easy, takes about 5 mins - exFAT ready - no PC needed, no driver/files mess on your PC.
Con: Have to update online, which is fine for me - after update, need AutoRCM all the time on 5.1.0. If you turn AutoRCM off, and boot without RCM, the fuses will burn.

By booting without RCM ? you mean booting OFW without the Sx Pro menu ?
RCM mode is on when using JIG and SX PRo ?

UP : done using OFW with sx pro menu.

Last edited by alucard_xs,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans