Hacking How much risk is there with using a valuable PSN account on a modded system?

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have recently bought three Vita systems which were all at the latest 3.73 firmware when I got them. On one of them I have logged into my PSN account to test PS4 remote play which is both awesome and terrible. Because of the button mapping.

I have been looking into modding at least one of these systems with the intent of porting my own homebrew game BatteryCheck to the Vita. I prefer physical games over downloads but I do have a few linked to my PSN on both the PS4 and Vita now. The requirement for modding is a working PSN as far as I know for the firmware I got, but how much risk is there for doing this with my "actual" PSN account? Would a ban on the Vita also ban the account on my PS4? That last one is my biggest fear and holding me back at the moment.

I have done the best I can to find information about this but could not find anything. Mostly that the risk is always there to be banned but that it has not really happend and "we" do not know what Sony can detect.

I hope someone can give me some insight into this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In theory the risk is fairly low, in practice I wouldn't use any ROM's online, ever - it develops a bad habit. With Sony's "stability updates" still hitting the scene every now and then you have zero guarantee that your account is safe, or your system for that matter. As far as I'm concerned you should treat every modded system as a de facto offline machine, unless you can return it to a vanilla state. Of course the risk is all yours and there are some stealth methods of having your cake and eating it, but there is always some risk involved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2