How much of a difference does a slot 2 make with the lattest version o

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by housemonkey, Mar 21, 2008.

1. housemonkey
    OP

housemonkey Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2007
    United States
    I have the latest version of SNEmulDS (0.6 alpha) and have been running it with an EZ IV Lite Deluxe (but have also used an EZ 3 in 1 in the past when it was first released if that makes a difference). Now, I haven’t noticed any dramatic change myself in any of the games I happen to be running with or without the slot 2 in place, but I keep encountering claims that the game play performance is dramatically improved with a slot 2.

I have my doubts, but I figured I should check anyhow. Are there games that are unplayable with only a slot 1 that suddenly become playable with just the extra RAM. I have even seen one person claim that Super Mario RPG runs with graphical glitches.

Thanks for entertaining what may be a silly question.

2. MystikEkoez

MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

Sep 5, 2006
    United States
    Georgia
    What are you talking about? Does SNEmulDS even have the ability to use the Slot 2 as extra RAM while being run off of Slot 1?

EDIT: What constitutes as extra RAM anyway? Simply having another game in there or a flash cart?

3. housemonkey
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2007
    United States
    From the description in the download section here:

Various External RAM packages can be used to improve large rom emulation : Supercard (32MB), M3 (32MB), Opera (8MB), EZ3/4/3-in-1 (8-16MB), G6 (32MB).
    There may be some problems with the external RAM library when lanching snemulds from slot2. Please tell me.

4. MystikEkoez

MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

Sep 5, 2006
    United States
    Georgia
    Well, if they say it works, you might as well try it. It's not like your DS will spontaneously combust.
    Wouldn't you run snemulds off your Slot 1 anyway?

5. housemonkey
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2007
    United States
    Yes, it will run off of a slot 1 alone. Mainly I am just wondering if the slot 2 drastically improves the way any games in particular run. I haven’t noticed any major difference myself, but I figured maybe it’s because I am just running the wrong games.

I am not in a place where I have any games handy to check other than what happens to be on the card so I cant really test anything myself.

6. Magnifico

Magnifico GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2007
    United States
    i havent noticed any real differences either, but would also like to know

7. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    It would be best to test out large games (3-4 MB) as those are the only ones that would even possibly be affected. I haven't noticed any difference myself, but it's a nice feature nonetheless.