How much money do you spend on fashion and what is your opinion on fashion?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,043
  • Replies 44
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
Today I was out with a friend. He bought a shirt for $80 AUD. Another friend of mine messaged me asking me to buy a piece of brand name jewelry for her and promised to pay me back when we see each other. This tiny piece of shit was $59 AUD.

Personally I'll buy clothes that look nice on me but there's no fucking way I'll spend that amount of money. Even on the Black Friday weekend brand name clothes are so expensive I simply refuse to buy them. Most of what I wear comes from second hand stores like the Salvation Army.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will I do have some brand name cloths those were mostly bought with a purpose in mind(like a suit and the likes). Honestly I don't mind spending some money on clothes, but the premise is that they are practical and comfortable, and I rarely find that brand name clothes cover both of those points.

This post also reminded what Oscar Wild said: "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I buy very few, very quality things after thinking for a long time about it. Then I proceed to wear them constantly and get thorough use out of them (I don't buy anything expensive just to sit in the cupboard). Like I bought some Dr Martens boots and wear them every day. They were $200 but it was better value than buying some cheap Kmart shoes for $30 that fall apart after a few months, and aren't nearly as comfortable. I've had this pair 3 years and counting. And my shoulder bag, I got that from Mywalit (a really nice, but expensive brand) after deciding what I wanted in which colour and waiting about five months until there was a sale including that one. It fits my computer and everything else perfectly and I use it every day. Not like my mother who is constantly buying new, cheap bags so she has a different one each time she goes out. I'm sure she has spent several times as much as I have, and only has cheap bags to show for it. There's more examples of course but the bottom line is it is better to spend more and get a quality product that will last for years than loads of cheap stuff that falls apart too soon (as long as you research carefully and it is something you will definitely use and not just sit in the cupboard). I don't do it for fashion, just for good sense.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i live in Italy, u will get a bankruptcy if u spend whole day at milan's fashion street, all branded Armani, D&G... last time i bought 2 polo and a outdoor hoodie i spent 180 euro....

Here States' black friday style'' sales about clothing begins at January, many people usually do shopping next year.

P.s. just checked my 2 polo are made in Philippine and My Ralph Lauren Hoodie is made in Vietnam -_-, FUUUUCK

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: weatMod

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont buy clothes very often. But when I do, I tend to bulk buy.

After starting uni, I have gained a lot of weight. First year at university was essentially a walk in the park. It was very relaxing and fun. Made me put on almost 30lbs.
Since than, I have been having my fair share of problem with weight gain/loss.

Hence, I dont care about clothing too much at the moment.

I am not consistent with my weight. Not consistent with my diet and exercise routine. But once I get that going consistently, I will be spending more money on clothing and probably look more into fashion lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fashion is one of the world's oldest cons. I try not to fall for it.

Being the modern world perfectly functional clothes exist and are made in industrial quantities and sold for next to nothing. I tend to go a bit further and buy my clothes from the building supplies shop as you get all nice fabric, cut such that you can actually move and stretch, usually made such that it regulates temperature, reinforced in all the right places, double stitched, able to be washed in a machine rather than paying through the nose for someone with a bottle of organic solvents and so forth. For whatever reason proper hard wearing steel toed boots are available for next to nothing around here which is nice.

I recently read an article on someone really good at detecting fake trainers, when pressed on why people should not buy fakes the response was worse than a handwave which says all I need to know (it was some weak moralising that was near enough shot down in their own words). I am happy enough if the trademark police (as it applies to fashion an absolutely fascinating subject) want to go in and enforce things but would not give a flying fuck if the top 500 fashion houses in the world went bust tomorrow.

As mentioned it is a con, it is however one many have fallen for so I try to be slightly cognisant of that and those doing the con showcase some sublime uses/twistings of psychology. As I am one to fix problems rather than be one of a thousand replaceable drones (even if drones with some reasonable skills) and fixing things allows me to ignore fashion then even better. For the most part it helps me to undermine those that are conscious of such things (usually some starving startup type wearing the suit they went to prom in the US or maybe graduated university elsewhere in) and knock them off script and allow me to gain useful info.
Said con is one fallen for by the dumb, the aspiring middle class and the nouveau riche; go on someone's place where they have had money for generations and they will be wearing either military surplus (having had a few canvas shirts in my time they are a fine choice) or a 20 year old shirt and blazer they got in a farm shop, and probably driving a land rover they inherited.

Reactions: DaMan and Meteor7

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just that one guy. I don't buy tons of clothes, but I'll look around and see what I like to buy, but if it's like an anime design that may cost 100$ for a show I like but the shirt I don't I could just make my own. Draw or copy a picture online and put it into a shirt. Pants for me it's just all the same light brown pants or black, hate blue.
As long as I feel sexy/mysterious ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Though I have a bad obsession of buying shoes and hats. I love all the neat designs. I spend maybe 60-70$ tops for shoes/boots it really depends on how much of a discount price I can get for the shoes/boots I want. found about 4 pairs of feet shoes for 30$ each that sold for 150$ each at my mall If you got a good eye you can make money off being a good shopper.
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/95/cd/e5/95cde58ac628fc44f028a6839342906c--barefoot-shoes-barefoot-men.jpg

Last edited by RivenMain,

olimar718

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't buy clothes. I get clothes from my father when he is not using them anymore because I a am mostly the same size as him.
My mother used to buy my some clothes too but now I don't need any new clothes so she stopped. Needless to say I don't care about how I look.

D

Deleted-355425

OP
The days of me spending £150 on a pair of jeans is well over... when you get older you soon see fashion is a con.

Reactions: MeowMeowMeow

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have absolutely no idea what constitutes fashion and as of such I don't really spend too much time worrying about it. The clothes I buy vary in price, but I do know that I have a tendency to go for more expensive outdoor clothing brands as they are incredibly useful and last much longer.

Reactions: Veho

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have absolutely no idea what constitutes fashion and as of such I don't really spend too much time worrying about it. The clothes I buy vary in price, but I do know that I have a tendency to go for more expensive outdoor clothing brands as they are incredibly useful and last much longer.
Yeah, I understand that also, and I do so.
Regarding fashion, I would define that as the "fad in clothing that normally dictates what is hot and lasts around six months, with all big brands that go into that fad marking their products 1000% overpriced".

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've spent a lot of money on clothing, but I still have everything I've bought because I buy things that last and know how to do my laundry. I also buy things specifically for the purpose of destroying, like a pair of shoes I'll only wear when it's raining.

I'll definitely spend however much money I feel like on something I want.

Reactions: RivenMain

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As others, I don't specifically follow any "fashion trends" as that usually just means 500% upmark on otherwise generic clothing. I generally just wear whatever is comfortable and affordable, with t-shirts, shorts of various types, and sweatpants probably making up about 80% of my wardrobe with the rest being casual or formal stuff for more serious occasions.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just buy what I like/is comfortable. Couldn't give a shit about trends or labels.

Also don't see how cutting holes in jeans somehow makes them cost more, jog on with that nonsense.

Last edited by Armadillo,

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$0

Fashion is but a shallow means of making the appearance that you are a person of substance, but in fact the illusion both begins and ends with one's wardrobe and ornament.
The sales pitch of course is that we are using our cloths, jewelry, and perfumes to represent our "selves", but that is but a sales pitch to perpetuate the shallow system of hooking up in regards to sensual response in regards to material items and nothing else, except what ever personality the viewer's mind and or hormones the viewer then places upon the one being viewed.

Reactions: Flame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all