Hardware How much has yours withstood?

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There have been a lot of threads about the top/bottom screen scratch issue, the hinge issue, and various other squeaks and problems.
I thought I'd start a thread of 3DS success stories.

First off, I dropped mine corner first onto concrete (due to running home in the rain and having it in my pocket) and all it left was a tiny scratch- in fact when I showed my girlfriend she couldn't even see it. When I dropped my DSphat onto some laminate floor once it left a big white mark where the plastic had weakened.

Most impressively is that I went to see Weezer the other day (judge if you want to...) and only when I was inside the venue did I realise I was still carrying my 3DS in my pocket. I worried for a bit, and tried to protect it but after a few beers I was right down the front, leaping about and getting bashed into by all sorts of sweaty people for 100 minutes -getting overheated by the body heat of a few hundred excitable human beings. Not only did the 3DS suffer no ill effects at all, it also picked up 5 streetpasses.

So what has yours survived?

inb4 'cool story bro'

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
My first 3DS had 8 dead pixels and was replace. My second 3DS couldn't update to 2.0.0 and was replace.

DSPhat : replaced 2 times (dead pixel both).
DSLite : replaced 2 times (dead pixel and broken hinge)
3DS : replace 2 times (read up)

So I feel you are very lucky this time.

Pip'

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i treat mine like a baby.. i only dropped it once about 3 inch from ground and i stopped the fall with my foot like a ninja....plus it was in a aluminum case inside of a pouch.. im calling nintendo on your 3ds abuse and having it removed from your care

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pippin666 said:
My first 3DS had 8 dead pixels and was replace. My second 3DS couldn't update to 2.0.0 and was replace.

DSPhat : replaced 2 times (dead pixel both).
DSLite : replaced 2 times (dead pixel and broken hinge)
3DS : replace 2 times (read up)

So I feel you are very lucky this time.

Pip'
this is for success stories not for fail stories there are plenty of those around already.
and you do seem to have been lucky xD as for my 3ds it hasnt a scratch on it since i treat it like a baby to ;D

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a single scratch on the screens. I have screen protectors, so that fixes that problem.
wink.gif

However, I have some REALLY light scratches on the back as I carry my 3DS around a lot more than my regular DS (with StreetPass and Play Coins being the incentive). You have to hold it under a light to see the scratches anyways.

Hydreigon

Isn't that DELICIOUS!?
Trophies
XP
Country
My 3DS is always kept in a case, which is then placed in a pouch, then placed in my backpack. I take extreme care of my stuff. In fact, the worst thing that happened to my 3DS was a whole lot of smudges all over the system.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I once let the 3DS drop about 1mm when placing it on the dock!!!!

Yeah... that's about the worse mine has had so far... i treat my 3DS better than i treat myself
dry.gif

Black ace

Trophies
XP
Country
Mine suffered 2 scratches on the back,I had an immediate panic attack when I found out. Never letting anyone else use it again.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I treat it like a precious object, but if I am carrying something with me all the time (I need to, streetpass hits are few and far between- if I ever go somewhere without it I feel I'm missing out) accidents are bound to happen.

I have a carry case, but it makes the whole thing too unnecessarily big and thusfore impractical to have in a pocket all day- I reasoned that it is a PORTABLE games system and can probably handle the odd knock. If it were so flimsy that it needs to be wrapped in bubblewrap and hidden from view in a rucksack, I would have serious concerns for a company marketing that as portable.

I never, NEVER let anyone else touch it. My GF can, as she lives with me, but I won't show it off in the street and I tuck it away whenever mates come round. If it ever gets damaged I want to have done it myself

Most posts here have reacted as though I had posted "I dangle children from balconies" on Mumsnet

Aether

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weaselpipe said:
I treat it like a precious object, but if I am carrying something with me all the time (I need to, streetpass hits are few and far between- if I ever go somewhere without it I feel I'm missing out) accidents are bound to happen.....

.....I never, NEVER let anyone else touch it. My GF can, as she lives with me, but I won't show it off in the street and I tuck it away whenever mates come round. If it ever gets damaged I want to have done it myself

Same for me
smile.gif
I always store it in a carry pouch and won't take it out in public.
GF can use the 3DS if she wants to but she knows i'm extremely nitpicking over scratches.
tongue.gif

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mine is apparently still 100% no scratches, dents, or scuffs after even dropping it on marble tiles from about 3-4 ft above.

I now carry it with a case and has screen protectors on top and bottom screens

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i still don't have screen protectors, but i managed to snag an aluminum case. too bad it won't fit on the docking bay, but hey, at least i won't have to worry about scratches anymore. and the felt lining of the aluminum case was pure genius. i just hope it's not a lint magnet.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really my 3DS, as I was buying it for a friend who gave me some money to buy it for him+accessories.

It's covered with perfectly applied screen protectors (top and bottom), a Nice vinyl skin (both inside and out), and a clear case, I even found him a nice little case I had used for my PSP once, and it fit in the perfectly.

I gave it to him about a week ago, he came over today, and I had not seen a single thing wrong with the device at all, buttons were fine, screen looked great, no issues what-so-ever.

nikkuchan

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I usually keep my 3DS between my buttcheeks when I travel to keep it from getting stolen. The down side that I'm usually sitting on it, and it also gets quite hot. The outer shell is pretty resistant to weight, plus the added cushion from my behind does help keep it safe. It also seems pretty resistant to smell, because there's no offensive odor while playing. The screens are fine, except that under the weight of my butt, the top screen is often touching the borders of the bottom screen, so when I open it up I get 2 long smudge lines on either side of my top screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: