How much do you think "No Man's Sky" should cost?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    People in America seem to be pretty upset it's going to retail for $60 and in UK it's going between £40-60 ($57-85). In my opinion, if it were priced for £29.99 / €37.99 / $39.99 I'd suppose gamers wouldn't be so bitter about it, don't get me wrong, customers are completely right in demanding a better deal since they [we] are the ones who'll pay for the product.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Assuming the game (and the devs) delivers everything they promise to deliver, I think the $60 price point is fair enough, and from what I've seen so far of the game from gameplay videos and dev interviews it appears, to me, that they're definitely on the right track. I imagine most of the people complaining are the ones who don't think the game is anything special, and are the ones who just assume because the devs are indie devs it's gonna be some junky title not worth $30 let alone $60 (which is a fair assumption, since most promised large-scale indie games ended up that way as well).

I'm just going to sit back and wait until the game is actually released before I offer any actual complaints, which is what most people should have done in the first place.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Is there a storm in a teacup or some drama I was ignorant of then?

What I want to pay? Same as everything, which is to say nothing* or you try to pay me. I will probably grab it at next to nothing some years from now too.

What might this game be worth? Pricing things is always fun. By the metrics most use( (length of play relative to other games, or at least beyond a baseline, functionality of the game itself, something a bit more nebulous like the feeling of completeness) then it might well be able to compete at levels market leaders can pull off.
    I detest the term AAA as it is so meaningless to me (even more than casual), and in this case if I am looking at something like COD then it does not represent the best value for money out there in the gaming world, so I am not sure anything that finds itself tarred with that brush is a good choice. Or perhaps it is a good term and should join the likes of blockbusters and fine dining in terms of things of things people want to believe are good but in the end would disappoint if you expect a cut above.

*my dad was in the US and dealing with US style second hand car sellers (and if commitment to being a slimy bastard is the measure of a car salesman then the US is a world leader by some way, or was as I heard that things have changed this last year or so) and said that. Apparently the seller did not see the funny side.

But yeah until I or someone I trust to rate these sort of things has it in their possession then I am out.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    What the hell kind of reasoning is that? I mean...you pretty much literally say "people shouldn't pay X amount of money for any product because they pay X amount of money for the product".

I'd tell you to GTFO, but after reading more than a few of your posts, I can't be bothered anymore.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I perhaps would not have phrased it like that but I do similar things all the time.

What do you want for it?
    "At that price I will pass"

It then up to them to either make another offer, including not to sell. As something is worth what someone else is prepared to pay then the would be customer has some power here.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Consumers are entitled to their opinion and how much they're willing to pay so it's not that they're "entitled bastards" as some like to put it.