Gaming How much can I haggle this guy?

D

Deleted User

i love how the 3 games he mentions he gets 200fps in are vaguely easy to run games, i could run all 3 of them fine on my 750 ti (if i ever bothered to check what i got on LoL and csgo that is)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To save others a click

"Specs:
Intel i5 4690K (overclocks to 4.4 GHz stable, without additional voltage)
Gigabyte z87x-D3H Motherboard (with SLI support)
XFX R9 280X 3GB
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 RAM (1866 MHz)
500GB Seagate Storage
Thermaltake 500W Power supply
Bitfenix Comrade White Gaming Case
(Could include USB keyboard, mice, and speaker set)"

It is a several year old, second hand mid range machine (fairly low RAM though of a decent clock and small hard drive, possibly to pay for the GPU which is not that bad or maybe there was extra storage which has since gone to something else) at the time with what has to be one of the nastiest looking cases I have seen since the 90s. Why anybody would price it up using new parts I am not sure, well actually I am but I am trying not to be quite so cynical this morning. The games mentioned are hardly system killers and it also fails to mention the settings used for the fps counts.
Upgrade potential is not absent but I could see this being a "get shot of it while it still has some value" play.

I would not personally buy it unless it was going for a token sum. If they have priced it at that you are unlikely to get it down to a level I would feel comfortable paying out for.
It is at this point we usually get to spec up something equivalent, and I did start but it seems some of those parts are in the "legacy good stuff so we know you will pay it" price bracket and you could probably do better another way. General parts seem to be pretty high in Canada, maybe due to the less than stellar exchange rate but who knows, so I would have to take that into account.
I had a quick look around and there are quite a few computer refurb places in the Vancouver area, several selling old business class machines with nice processors and memory that you could then stick a GPU into (maybe with a power supply upgrade).

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not a bad pc, price is high seriously. Maybe worth at least 600$ for used components, the cpu is awesome, the graphic card is old but you can play at medium high settings on latest games, only 500gb storage isnt enough if you install many games from steam.

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is way overpriced for a 4th gen i5, I had one last year for under £350 with a comparable R9 card. Considering fast RAM and decent motherboard I would offer $550 and take £600 at best.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it is that's actually a pretty decent price, if he was selling it new I'd say grab it immediately. Since it's used, though, I'd say start with an offer of $600, but be sure to mention you'd be willing to meet him somewhere in the middle as opposed to insisting that price. Try giving him the $600 and then asking what the lowest he'd be willing to go is

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the price is C$, because that's an awful deal in USD. For just over $700 USD you could build an i5-6500/RX480 machine with faster DDR4 RAM, more storage, and maybe even a solid-state drive large enough for Windows and a couple big games; the only real tradeoff is that you wouldn't really be able to overclock the 6500, but at stock speeds it'd still outperform that by a good margin.

That said, $600 Canadian wouldn't be terrible. The 4690K is still a more-than-capable processor, and the 280X is still ready to play most games on high settings at 1080p/60FPS, although it's by no means ready for Ultra settings if you want above 30FPS in demanding games. The RAM's not the worst DDR3 you could get, but 500GB of storage is going to vanish quick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.