Hacking How much battery life do you get from OMEGA?

Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

Just wanted to ask how much battery life you get from the EZ-Flash Omega GBA cartridge, since I am getting only a couple of hours out of it. It is probably a battery issue, but I just wanted to know the experience of other people now the Omega is out for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your response.

P.s. Does anybody know a good shop or good battery replacement for a DS Lite? I just bought a replacement one, but it even gets less battery life than the original 10 years old battery :hateit:

Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://gbatemp.net/threads/upcoming-on-omega-development.500746/page-3#post-7936885 has some game tests.
They are in line with what I would expect following my tests with a multimeter
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ezflash...n-house-at-gbatemp.500357/page-4#post-7905928
Redid the test for an update and it was slightly better.

Hmmm strange then that kuwanger gets almost 6 hours out of it with a GBA SP and mine DS Lite could not even get the three hours....
How much battery life do you get with your device? (on average from experience)
Do you know a good brand from which I could buy a reliable battery to replace mine, since that is probably the main problem that I have to fix.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I have not kept up with batteries, though trying to find good third party ones is not usually an easy activity. Some do OK with stuff from the usual Chinese websites but I have nowhere I can say "go here, buy this".

I have not properly measured lifetime in mine (was more interested in the things my meter said) and hate trying to guess it from memory, I might try noting it in the future but it feels slightly redundant with the meter telling me what it told me. As mentioned though the other thread is in line with my tests and I have no reason to doubt the people reporting their findings there.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm strange then that kuwanger gets almost 6 hours out of it with a GBA SP and mine DS Lite could not even get the three hours....
How much battery life do you get with your device? (on average from experience)

"I recently bought a KMD GBA SP replacement battery (600mAh 3.7)." That's how I'm getting decent battery life. Having said that, the DS Lite is backlit so is definitely brighter. So, even with 166% more power, it would surprise me that it's at best going to be lower than the GBA SP. My 2DS battery test which is 233% more power (although not new, so effective power might be 80% of that) was only 8 hours. Not sure if I'm going to bother with NDS Lite tests because that'd involve purchasing a new battery just to get clean results. :/

Edit - Oh, and some more battery tests for comparison on various Nintendo handhelds. Not really Omega related, but it gives you a sort of baseline of expectations.

Last edited by kuwanger,

Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"I recently bought a KMD GBA SP replacement battery (600mAh 3.7)." That's how I'm getting decent battery life. Having said that, the DS Lite is backlit so is definitely brighter. So, even with 166% more power, it would surprise me that it's at best going to be lower than the GBA SP. My 2DS battery test which is 233% more power (although not new, so effective power might be 80% of that) was only 8 hours. Not sure if I'm going to bother with NDS Lite tests because that'd involve purchasing a new battery just to get clean results. :/

No, I understand that you have a new battery and all makes it last longer. I was just bothered with myself that I just bought a new battery that does only half what your SP does on the lowest brightness setting.... Thereby comes that from the battery tests that you mention, the NDS Lite lasts about 4,5 hours on the highest brightness, which only wants to make me want to get a good battery for the DS Lite even more. These tests were off course no run on an Omega, which has higher energy consumption then an original GBA or DS game, but still... would be nice to play more than a long train ride or short flight on one battery.

Hence, if you know a good brand for a battery (are the KMD batteries doing fine?) or shop that sells reliable batteries, I would be happy to hear. Furthermore, Im going to mail Nintendo and ask what they can do for me with respect to the battery, it seems that they are about the only ones that sell the most reliable batteries. It is a shame that they do not have an online store in Europe/Netherlands, such as in US and Canada, where you could buy a battery from them.

zewindsor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have more than 3-4 hours with the original battery, on a SP with AGS 101, backlit on lower setting. With a "brand new" chinese one, 800 mAh, I could play only around two hours. So I put the original back.
I ordered a 900 mAh on a serious site, waiting for it now.

But, whatever the battery is, the Omega is clearly a battery life killer. That's really a pity because I find it excellent, except this.

zewindsor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Playing a GBA game today (Naruto), the red light appeared. I quit the game to go back to the Omega "home", the light turned green. I played Tetris on GBC, the light remained green. As soon as I launched a GBA game (Sonic Advance), the light became red again.

So I guess there is more power cosumption when playing GBA games. Should we play GB / GBC only ? :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The menu did draw a notably lower amount of current than the games in my tests. I can see the emulators that are playing GB/GBC games in turn also drawing less current.
If you draw more current it tends to in turn drop the voltage a bit, which is all that the light tells you and would also explain your results.

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder if is possible a firmware in omega with only basic functions like ez flash 4 to increment battery life.

Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder if is possible a firmware in omega with only basic functions like ez flash 4 to increment battery life.

That would make it the ultimate card. However, I don't think that would be capable since the battery drain is mostly a hardware issue, I think. Or some of the features the Omega currently has would be sacrificed, which would, in my opinion, also not make the card more favourable.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning