How Much Bandwidth Would... Say A Pokemon Battle Take?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by StarOfDoom, May 7, 2015.

1. StarOfDoom
    OP

StarOfDoom GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    Hey Guys,
    My school blocks all 3DS game internet use (I can use the browser, and the EShop, but as soon as I go into a game and try to, say, Wonder Trade, or try to find players online in MK7, it just says there's an error. I have a Galaxy S5, and can create a mobile hotspot, but I am capped at 1GB of data each month. I was curious how much data a few of these things would take, like how much would a Online Pokemon fight take, or how much would a match in MK7 use? Thanks.

2. gameus

gameus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2015
    United States
  3. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

The eShop would use more bandwidth downloading a game than in a game itself. This makes no sense. Wonder Trade pkx files are like 1KB if I recall. I can't see the entire process taking up more than 1MB of data.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Tough question. If this matters, playing something like a COD game can use around .3GB/hr (300MB/hr) and World of Warcraft uses like 10GB if you play for 8 hours straight. Given that a pokemon battle is turn based, and not too heavy on the bandwidth, my guess (and purely a guess, no algorithms involved) would be like... maybe 5-10MB/hr if you do nothing but battle the entire hour, maybe??

5. StarOfDoom
    OP

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    Well, I did a round of MK7, and it was ~5MB, which is kind of a lot. Haven't had a chance to try a Pokemon battle yet, will probably try tonight.

And how am I supposed to know that Wonder Trade would use less than 1MB of data? That's why I asked. Did I say anything about the eShop? Not really. The only time I said eShop was saying it WORKED on my School's WiFi. No need to get pissy, I was just asking a question that I didn't know the answer to. Sorry that you know everything.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  6. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas

Good luck when you try it tonight. I'm pretty curious myself. Hopefully it's not too much.

7. StarOfDoom
    OP

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    Not much at all, each turn seems to be ~5-10kb. A 3v3 game (Single Battle, 3 Pokes each) Took just under 150kb, so it's not much at all.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  8. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    im sure you can find somthing to let your phone as a hotspot bypass the block on the data it gives to stop you playing 3ds games online.

9. StarOfDoom
    OP

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    No, it's not a hard cap. If I go over the Data, then I pay an extra $15/GB.

10. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    im talking about you using your schools connection.

11. StarOfDoom
    OP

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    I mean, I don't see how that would work. If my 3DS can't use the ports that it is trying to use for gaming, neither will my phone, so if I forward from my phone, the same ports will be blocked. I could ask to get them unblocked, but it would be a pain, and they would probably say no.