Homebrew How might I manually restore downgraded mset? (9.2 2DS US)

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it turns out that I made my sysNAND backup using a version of rxTools that I later found out was making unreliable NAND backups that could potentially even cause bricks. As I do not have a hardmod and don't feel very confident about the pinouts shown in the only thread I've found so far (nor feel horribly confident about actually DOING a hardmod) I must consider that backup to be worthless and have already deleted it and created a newer backup with emuNAND9 instead.

Anyway, at this point MenuHax, BrowserHax, and NinjaHax (I have Cubic Ninja) makes it completely unnecessary for me to use the DS profile exploit anymore. Heck, even if I need launcher.dat exploits for whatever reason I might as well use the old browser exploit (as it is a 2DS I can't safely downgrade the entire system to 4.x, so the old 4.x launcher.dat exploits won't work here as offsets are different.) Undesirable I would say in fact as it's a lot more trouble, slower to actually do, and I'd swear it's even less reliable. Now, I don't strictly need the original mset on there right this minute, but it worries me that if things should ever go wrong and I have to do a system format or something it could potentially cause troubles. As there is just no need at all for a downgraded mset anymore I want to just go ahead and restore it to normal.

I don't want to do anything messy like updating the whole sysNAND to 10.3 and then redowngrading or something though. I did the downgrade using rxTools, but if it even has an option to restore the mset that option disappeared for me somewhere along the way and at some point I had to delete the rxtools folder and start over as something was just plain messed up (black screen every time until I started over.) Now, I have the 9.2.0-20U(Full) system files package available. If I'm reading correctly the correct file I want is 0004001000021000.cia (and certainly that file is missing from the one that says "no.mset-twl-wlist-agb" which at least makes it 33% more likely that I've correctly understood which title I'm looking for.) I tried using sysUpdater, but whether I select downgrade or even upgrade, it just acts like everything goes well but doesn't show any CIAs being installed at all (no failed, but no success either. It's just the one CIA file in that /updates folder.) I was kind of tempted to try FBI, but it won't overwrite an existing title. I'm kind of wondering if I can use FBI to delete the existing title then install that, but I'm really not sure how to tell which it is since it's just listing a bunch of stuff with the same exact names and I'm not sure how safe this is besides.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I did select NAND.

Attachments

• FBI_before.jpg
    FBI_before.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 185
  • FBI_Error.jpg
    FBI_Error.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 233
  • BigBlueFail.jpg
    BigBlueFail.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by Nazosan,

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't suppose anyone else might have any thoughts? I'm still wondering if I could actually remove the title, but I'm afraid to actually do that and get the wrong thing -- or, for that matter, that the actual removal could break things. I definitely don't feel confident about doing a hard mod, so that's for an absolute emergency if all else fails (and I definitely can't afford to hire someone to do it right now.)

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a guide here on how to download the System Settings .cia with 3DNUS. I did that then installed the .cia with DevMenu on SysNAND (Booted SysNAND mode on GW). Worked fine for me.

BBM wouldnt let me overwrite the .cia, but DevMenu worked. I didnt try FBI.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well darn... I forgot they were two separate things since they even look almost exactly alike. Plus I never found a CIA that worked for DevMenu. So I kind of forgot about it being separate and thought he meant that. Thanks, that's what I was missing. DevMenu was able to import the CIA and I once again see the NNID setting, so have to assume mset is properly updated. I may never need it, but I see no reason to keep it downgraded (especially since I could just downgrade it again if I really really just had to have that, but then all I can think of it being useful for now would be really old launcher.dat stuff -- which doesn't work when using a downgraded mset on a newer system firmware anyway...) and having a downgraded mset might potentially cause trouble further down the road.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do want to know how to safely delete a title in case I ever do need to do that. What exactly did you do to correctly identify which one and make sure you deleted only just the right thing?

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
check you CIA Unique ID (this work only for Legit btw)
For it was : 0004001000022000.

In Nand part I tried to find the Exact one.
Once I check size cause if a 9.2 is around 8mb any other versoin would not all of sudden goes up to 50mb^^

If I am sure I choice to delete it.
And then I install without Closing my CIA install the one that have the same id in Nand destination.

(Ps I did it on OLD 3DS 10.3.0-28E SysNand so no idea if emunand etc would work that way.)

Reactions: jscjml

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s