Hacking How many times should I tinyformat (a9lh installation)

Nyap

HTML Noob
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
So I had to format my sysnand twice (I think, maybe even 3 times) because the first sd card was way too small, and according to plailects guide:
The reason we format twice, rather than just once, is because RedNAND and SysNAND are determined to be linked if they have both been formatted the same number of times.
How can I tell if the nands are linked or should I just do what it says and still format twice

Nyap

HTML Noob
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I made a folder on rednand and it didn't appear on sysnand, that's good right? Can I just continue without formatting rednand twice?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I made a folder on rednand and it didn't appear on sysnand, that's good right? Can I just continue without formatting rednand twice?
I would think that the "this is not optional (in other words, you must TinyFormat your RedNAND twice - if you do not, your device may brick when you downgrade)" would answer your question.

Reactions: proflayton123

Nyap

HTML Noob
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I would think that the "this is not optional (in other words, you must TinyFormat your RedNAND twice - if you do not, your device may brick when you downgrade)" would answer your question.
except this contradicts that
The reason we format twice, rather than just once, is because RedNAND and SysNAND are determined to be linked if they have both been formatted the same number of times.
so step 33 must assume that you only formatted sysnand once, which is not what happened in my case
anyone?

Last edited by Nyap,

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
If they aren't linked which is the main reason you format twice I don't foresee a problem. But then again I'm not a expert just someone with common sense, lol.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so step 33 must assume that you only formatted sysnand once, which is not what happened in my case
Just format RedNand Twice... It only takes 5 minutes or so and saves the confusion of trying to understand everything behind the guide :P

PBallWiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I formatted twice like step 33 suggests.
To be sure they were not linked I booted into sysNAND after completing step 36 (Navigate to SD then PlaiSysUpdater.cia and press A to install)
I checked to see if PlaiSysUpdater appeared on the home menu in sysNAND.
It did not so at that point I was double sure that sysNAND and emuNAND were no longer linked.
I've done two a9LH installs so far without issue.
Both times I formatted the emuNAND twice.
Both times I booted into SYSnand after completing step 36 to make sure Plaisysupdater icon did not appear on the home menu.
Seems to me they should add a "step 37" to do what I did :)

Last edited by PBallWiz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2