How many of you still know how to use t9 predictive text?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Dec 12, 2016.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I was asked to send a text for someone driving today and in the middle of fully punctuating the text message, like I do for all such communications, I saw the next word I wanted in the suggestions line. It was probably the first time I have ever done such a thing as I never learned to use the old t9 predictive text, not that I felt a need for a phone back then either.
    It was at that point the question of whether people a) ever learned (android and IOS have been with us since 2007, and it is not like alternatives did not exist before then if you lived somewhere civilised, or you were suckered into blackberry's orbit) and b) still retain some knowledge.

If there was something other than t9 for your language but along the same lines (a means of using the standard 12 button keypad on a telephone to enter words) then I will accept it.

2. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    I remember using T9 on the LG VX8300 phone. I didn't use it very often though, preferred just hitting the same key multiple times. But I did use it a few times.

3. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Well, it's not hard to use them, and if you've used them for even a couple of minutes it's easy to get the feel of it.

4. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I still use it if I ever need to type on a phone that has a smaller display. A soft-keyboard with only 9 buttons has a lot less capacity for mis-types than a full qwerty keyboard.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've always disabled it.
    Annoying software.

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I owned a Samsung Character a while back that used T9, it was helpful. Now I just use the suggested words that pop up above the keyboard (standard android feature)

7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    I never used it on my Nokia 3210, Ngage QD, 6630 or N95. It got to the point could text really fast, not even looking at the phone. I just pressed the same button multiple times to get the letter i wanted.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. monzamess

monzamess Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2009
    United States
    Never learned T9. Seemed like a PITA to learn for the benefits offered. I did invest some time into Graffiti on the Palm way back when. Then I got a phone with a slide-out keyboard, which was OK, and now I use a glide (Swype-like) keyboard which is the best mobile typing method I've found so far. Not ready to make the leap to talking to my phone.

9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I still know how (and the symbols, shift, copy+paste on Symbian) but haven't done that in many years...

My mom uses a dumbphone-style keyboard on Android but without dictionary, she never really appreciated the writing aids :)