Hacking How many games are unplayable on fat32?

C Dale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just about every guide I read recommends fat32 for the partition format. However with the 4GB file size limitation it seems like there would be a lot of games that wouldn’t run on this. I even ran into this with Pokémon sun on my 3ds, where the game was too large for the file system.

Am I missing something? I would imagine there are a lot of games over 4GB in size. I haven’t hacked my switch yet, just researching. Is there any software that chunks out the data to get around this limitation, or are you just SoL on the big games?

cherup

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If a game is > 4gb so can split the game. So you can run all games on fat32 after splitting them.

Gesendet von meinem ELE-L29 mit Tapatalk

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games once installed are naturally split into 4GB chunks by the switch, to install them you can either split the nsp into 4GB chunks or just install games directly from PC using a couple programs.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just about every guide I read recommends fat32 for the partition format. However with the 4GB file size limitation it seems like there would be a lot of games that wouldn’t run on this. I even ran into this with Pokémon sun on my 3ds, where the game was too large for the file system.

Am I missing something? I would imagine there are a lot of games over 4GB in size. I haven’t hacked my switch yet, just researching. Is there any software that chunks out the data to get around this limitation, or are you just SoL on the big games?
None. When games install, no file is larger than 4gb. If a the installation files are larger than 4gb, you can split the file.

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All games are playable, games larger than 4gb are splited during the installation (nsp format). The system understand that the file is splited.
About XCI I think that is the same but I never touch them actualy

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget people that make hacks and homebrew are smart. They've already had several methods to install files larger than 4 gb via the usb type c cable that you also need to hack your switch.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The replies are all correct. Once a game is installed it runs just fine on fat32. Which is good, because fat32 is recommended since exFat has weird inefficiencies on the Switch. Just make sure to install with something like a USB installer to avoid a bunch of manual junk. Goldleaf with GoldTree should fix you up. Google it. (Make sure to follow any applicable tutorials first though.)

C Dale

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all. Great information. Sounds like this was well thought out by the HB devs. Fat32 it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.