How many ECC failure bad blocks on Nand do you have?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by john1010_ma, May 25, 2010.

?

How many ECC failures on Nand do you have (while doing a Bootmii backup)?

1. None!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-2

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. 3-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 6-10

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. more than 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. john1010_ma
    OP

Member john1010_ma GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I wonder if anybody can shed some light on what it means by "ECC failure (corrected) on page xxxxxxx" when doing the nand backup? I'm getting mix answers from the internet.

2. john1010_ma
    OP

Brazil
    So how did you avoid getting ECC failure bad blocks?

3. john1010_ma
    OP

Brazil
    Your comments got me thinking. Ever since I allowed some usb loaders to write the playlog, I've been getting these errors. Time to disable them. Thanks.

4. john1010_ma
    OP

Brazil
    An update for anyone wanting to know.

Some ECC errors seem to be "fixable" but I can't pin point the exact method. I do not know how I got those errors but I know what I did to make some of them go away.

I updated my Hermes cIOS 222 v5 to 5.1. Switched off all game "Diary" in uLoader and played a game (PO: Forgotten Sands). When I next ran the Bootmii backup, the "ECC failure (corrected) in page xxxxx" did not show up in the usual spot.

I've got aother ECC error in another part of the nand which is still there but at least some of them were solved.

5. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    It's different failures in the chip. Just like LCDs (at least used to) come with stuck pixels occasionally, sometimes there are imperfections in that relatively giant sheet of transistors. Most people's blocks are bad from the factory; they made a chip that had an acceptable number of flaws, and it lived to see installation in a Wii. There are very few reasons why you'd suddenly get a number of new bad blocks, usually either high/low voltage (bad P/S) or thermal overload (poor air circulation, other overheating components). You might get one or two bad blocks over the normal course of the wii, these are gates that were runts of the litter, so to speak.

The data gets stored on the chip along with ECC, which is like a checksum/CRC/MD5/SFV only at a very low level. If the ECC is robust enough to repair the gaps in the data, you get a recoverable error. If the gaps are too large, you get an epic fail bad block.

You are right that a recoverable ECC error will not cause problems in itself, but it could lead to some shit later down the line. However, installing stuff to the NAND (occasional writes) really won't appreciably shorten the lifespan. If a program aggressively writes to the NAND, maybe a ported app that isn't aware of the environment it's in and doesn't attempt wear-leveling, could shorten the life after a while. You only get so many reads/writes with NAND before it poops out, same with hard drives but much shorter.

Brought to you by...
    [​IMG]

Sorry if there are any errors in there, [​IMG]

6. john1010_ma
    OP

Brazil
    good info thesund0g