Hardware How long will the 3DS be consistently sold out after launch?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The Wii was consistently sold out for about 2 1/2 years after launch in the U.S. Do you think the 3DS will see a similar situation?

I think it will be sold out possibly longer than the Wii given the 3DS's hype and glowing reviews. Hope you guys pre-order!

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm pretty sure the 3DS will be in a similar if not worse situation. Maybe not so bad when the NGP comes out but still, there will be shortages.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Luckily, I'm #3 on my local GameStop preorder list. So unless they only get two units in, this thing is mine at launch.

qwety

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily I'm at the bottom of the launch list -.- on Amazon. At least I'm gonna be getting a 3DS system.

@Midna: how the hell did you get the third spot? Did you camp that place?!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I went over after I read online that they were preordering in Canada. Then I haggled for 3 days over the minimum preorder price. They had it wrong, but I ended up paying $50 down (it's $25 in Canada) anyway. I probably could have gotten the first or second spot if I had had $50 on me the first time I came.

qwety

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL. At least you are third up...
frown.gif
I'm like, what, 9001 on the list? I JUST preordered it 2 hours ago. :/ I had to put down a $250 down payment though hahah

Shadowhunta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Over here in england the 3DS apparently is'nt selling well because people don't understand it, people are more wary here and won't part with money until they have seen it in action. Only one of the few GAME shops i have visited said they were selling out of preorders, the others said they have loads, as did HMV. Nintendo haven't put demo units in the shops yet so i think that preorders won't sell so hot but we'll see a steady ramp up in the run up to xmas and then at xmas itself i think people will go wild for one, smashing the NGP into "been there, done that" oblivion.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rukia-san said:
Do you think it will be sold out even if I go buying it the first day?
Gamestation said they won't have any to sell on launch day, only preorders have a chance of getting one

At title: 2 weeks tops is my guess. But if they have a lack of manufactured 3DS' then probably longer.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well handhelds never had that kind of effect to begin with, also remember that the economy isn't as friendly as it was when the Wii have launched. So that being sold out is a question of how many units each game store suppose to have? Also let's not forget what Nintendo promised about the overall release of those new gizmos...like a million here or something
unsure.gif

Skitty22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shadowhunta said:
Over here in england the 3DS apparently is'nt selling well because people don't understand it, people are more wary here and won't part with money until they have seen it in action. Only one of the few GAME shops i have visited said they were selling out of preorders, the others said they have loads, as did HMV. Nintendo haven't put demo units in the shops yet so i think that preorders won't sell so hot but we'll see a steady ramp up in the run up to xmas and then at xmas itself i think people will go wild for one, smashing the NGP into "been there, done that" oblivion.

not true , Game have said they are running close to the pre-order limit , they have got around 200 on pre-order now and they put 60 pre-orders in yesterday. gamestation i know are close to their limit due to the fact they would not change my colour choice when orignally they said they could.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Well handhelds never had that kind of effect to begin with, also remember that the economy isn't as friendly as it was when the Wii have launched. So that being sold out is a question of how many units each game store suppose to have? Also let's not forget what Nintendo promised about the overall release of those new gizmos...like a million here or something
unsure.gif

I agree, not to mention that the Wii launched during a holiday shopping season which served to drive up hype even more. Nintendo has stated that they will have 4 million units available for launch across all regions (Japan, NA, Europe) until the end of their fiscal year, which happens to be a few days after the US launch. Their new fiscal year starts the week after US launch and they'll be shipping more then. Around the web, I'm seeing more and more people electing to wait before getting one or cancelling pre-orders due to weak launch lineup, region locking, etc.

I have 2 units preordered at Amazon, but I'm starting to get the feeling the 3DS may not be that hard to find in stores after the initial launch.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just about every place who offers them in my area will be preorder only for a while.

If you want a Japanese one you have 1 day to preorder (all import shops and Amazon Japan are offering them for preorders only for a while), you can search the auctions, but you will usually pay between $400-$600 in a popular auction site such as ebay, it's worse for Japanese auctions though (I seen a few $900+ units).

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Hop2089 said:
Just about every place who offers them in my area will be preorder only for a while.

If you want a Japanese one you have 1 day to preorder (all import shops and Amazon Japan are offering them for preorders only for a while), you can search the auctions, but you will usually pay between $400-$600 in a popular auction site such as ebay, it's worse for Japanese auctions though (I seen a few $900+ units).
The clerk at my gamestop said basically the same thing. You can still preorder now and get a system at launch, but when Nintendo tells them to stop, that's it. The opportunity is still there, folks, but time is running out.
ohmy.gif

BTW I found out yesterday when I paid off my balance that I was the first at my store.
yaynds.gif
The employee gave me a dirty look as he was #2 followed by his boss at #3.
tongue.gif

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
when the wii came out, i went to gamestop right when they opened the doors. a guy came out and was like, sorry guys we didn't get any wii's. most people left and then i bitched and complained because they advertised wiis on the paper ads. then i asked for the manager. the manager promised me a unit as soon it arrived.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol