Discussion How long until we get a way to unban?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by 3dsHelp, Sep 30, 2018.

?
  1. Before 2019!

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Probably sometime in Early 2019

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mid 2019 seems reasonable to me

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. I think late 2019 is the earliest we can get it

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. We won't, idiot. Delete the tread

47 vote(s)
    85.5%
  1. 3dsHelp
    OP

3dsHelp Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2017
    United States
    So, what do you think? Vote in the poll and make fun of me for even thinking it's possible!

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Probably never. Cause unlike 3DS, here is everything console specific (if I understand it correctly).

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Just to reiterate, the 3DS used a semi-public seed to ban users with that was not tied to the console whatsoever which allowed users to unban themselves. For the Switch, bans are tied to a console-unique certificate embedded within the unit that even if dumped, are locked with a 2,048 character-long key. Outside of hot-swapping console certificates with an unbanned one (which is highly foolish and simpler to just buy a new console), it would take several millennia for even the best supercomputers in the world to crack such a key.

4. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    Nintendo have learnt from Sony, it's pretty much a dead cert that you aren't going to ever unban yourself.

5. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Maybe there's a way to make Nintendo see the console as another console that isn't banned. Like change the CID or Keyvault?

6. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Much probably never. I mean, we can't say for sure, but Nintendo really tightened their security there. They got a really good way of finding out if someone's even slightly tampering their devices. The Nintendo Switch scene is really just starting however, so there's no way to say for sure. Who knows we might get a private server hosted by someone to play online with other banned players? Anything's possible. But i don't think we will get a way of unbanning our devices, or at least no until 2020/2021.

7. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Delete the tread?

OK...

Tread definitely deleted...

8. cattivik66

cattivik66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    Italy
    Swapping the certificate would not work anyway.
    To play online the N. Server requires to resolve a challenge that uses data console specific sent using your specific certificate, data that are on the fuses section and are read-only.
    A mismatch of certificate and challenge resolution would be rejected.

So the only way is swap the mainboard, that is actually 95% of the Switch...

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    A user was successfully able to do this meaning certificates aren't as console specific as we imagined (or its possible that Nintendo doesn't even check whether the device ID is matching the certificate or not). However regardless if its possible or not, this is still a terrible idea in practice as having 2 or more consoles using the same certificate is just asking to get banned.

10. Dungeonseeker

Dungeonseeker GBAtemp Fan

Mar 28, 2016
    Or a few seconds for a quantum computer, so at least another 20 years before those become available.