How long until USB modchip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by rockbox77, Aug 30, 2007.

Aug 30, 2007

How long until USB modchip? by rockbox77 at 9:31 PM (1,361 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. rockbox77
    OP

Newcomer rockbox77 Member

There has to be a USB modchip being developed for the Wii. How long do you think it will be until it is released? I really wouldn't mind if it required a disc-swap to play backups either.

2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Very very long...how many years after the PS2 release and we still don't have a USB modchip.

3. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Until an exploit is found, a soft(ish) mod is impossible

4. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    well think about how old the PS2 is and they are just now coming out with a usb/memory card modchip by a team called VAST and another team too

5. KeitaroBaka

Member KeitaroBaka Advanced Member

France
    For the moment, when hell will freeze.
    But to be serious, not before the end of life of the Wii. (Just my opinion)

6. rockbox77
    OP

Newcomer rockbox77 Member

Well then do you think there is any point in holding out modding your wii with a standard modchip right now? What benefits can the next-gen of modchips bring? I figure if you are going to have to open up your wii, why wait any longer.

7. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yea just mod it, it can play burned wii games, what more can you ask for?

also its nice that i can play metroid prime on my pal wii 2 months before the release here [​IMG]

8. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France

The sky is the limit. Most obviously is homebrew. USB Hard drive support? Loading games from said hard drive instead of burning DVDs? DVD player?

There is no way to gauge if any of this will ever be accomplished. Even with the Xbox360, being in the market for an extra year, still has a similar situation as the Wii. It's mod affects the DVD drive by having it report burned DVDs are legit and not copies.

Since most people just want to pirate I don't know how long it will take for someone to make anything more than what we have with the current Wii modchips. It could be announced next week, next month, next year. You never know.

Also, I wouldn't bet on a "USB modchip" anytime soon, if ever. Get used to the fact that modding your console to play "backups" usually means opening it up and using a soldering iron.

9. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    If there was a USB modchip, that would mean that Nintendo would have to be noob enough to give the USB port permissions to write to F/W or to the DVD drive. They're alot smarter than that. But evidently not smart enough to remove the DVD drive's serial (or debug, i dunno) port. ^^

So: USB modchip is prolly never going to happen. Anyways, I have soft modded my PS2 and I modded my wii with wiikey. I prefer the hard mod. Even though during installation you might be sweating bullets, after that, its pretty smooth sailing. Swap magic is a pain, 'cause you need to wait like 30 seconds while the swapmagic disc spins up, and lets you boot what you want.