Question How long until it is a NecroBump?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by RevPokemon, Sep 27, 2016.

1. RevPokemon
    OP

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I know this sounds retarted but I was just wondering if GBATemp has a specific rule of thumb about how much time passes until it is a necrobump or do you play it by ear? I know a year is a necrobump but what about say 2 months provided it is relevant like an update?

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Necrobump? :wtf:

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Bumping a very old (dead) thread and bring it back to the front page (bringing it back to life)

RevPokemon likes this.
  4. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Definitely "played by ear."

I once made a thread about the possibility of converting a Wii Twilight Princess save to GC and vice versa. More than a year later I posted on the thread again because in that time a tool was developed to do it automatically. Can't say it's always a bad thing, since a thread that likely was picked up on Google searches is now a tad more useful.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay, so is it a rule or something to not do this? What if OP has a good reason, or someone has new information to add? :unsure:

What if i get bored one day, started actually reading past post from 2002 and decided to comment cause i had something good to say?

6. RevPokemon
    OP

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    That personally is what I was thinking especially in other areas as well like say the Movie area where people will respond to threads started about upcoming movies and then responded once they come out

7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You shouldn't nercobump unless it is useful to the thread and you posted in it while it was first active.

8. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    The act of replying to a thread where the last post is several-years old most of the time.

It really depends on why you're bumping the thread... if you have some very important/useful info, and was engaged in the thread at the time of its activity, you should be fine. Any other (mostly lame) reason to bump it is probably against the rules.

You should pretty much make a new thread if you didn't reply to the old topic before. It's a much safer practice in the long run!

9. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Tempted to reply here a year later with "THIS long".

TotalInsanity4 and Davidosky99 like this.
  10. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It depends on the nature of the thread. If it's "[Release] Sky Editor: The first save editor for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky", then reviving it after a few months or even a year to report bugs or ask for help is perfectly acceptable. If it's "HALP!!1!" or "Question about _____", then it would probably be considered necro-posting after a month or two. If it's a forum game like "Ban the person above you!", I think it would be considered necro-posting after a month or two, but would be more acceptable than other kinds of necro-posting, IMO.

Last edited by evandixon, Sep 27, 2016
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Not sure what you mean by safe, but cleaner or organized? Making a new thread based on a existing one (Regardless of age) Is safe? But is it organized? Is a new thread, if someone sees it and says, "Didn't someone make a thread like this already?" Am i supposed to respond with "Is over (insert date of last comment) old, and i didn't wanna necrobump" Which of this is more organized? Isn't this our goal, help keep stuff clean, easier to read and access? :unsure:

12. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Well, by safe, I mean you won't be convicted of necrobumping an old thread.
    And whilst I fully understand where you are coming from (the forums do tend to be stuffed up with the same information sometimes), the information in the several-year-old threads people bump may well-easily be outdated anyway, and bumping it to the very top of the forum could easily misguide new users/noobs. Hence we start new topics knowing full-well about the latest info we have about that specific topic, and no confusion breaks out.

Luckily, if the necrobump does happen to be just a question about the topic, the mods could just throw that post into a new, seperate thread.

Organization is a key factor, like you say, but you also need to strike a balance with (plenty of) correctly-sorted information as well as.

Last edited by Voxel, Sep 27, 2016
  13. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    I replied to a seven year old thread - Got two warnings lmao

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you bumped it to reply to uninteresting post.
    The reply you posted didn't provide help or fix for an issue users could have.

some necrobump are legitimate (new version release, new solution to a problem, updated method to an old guide or tutorial to prevent issues from users finding old threads on google, etc.)
    some are not so well seen (answering a thread a user posted 10 years ago and never got an answer, he will not be there to read your answer, and in the hacking scene, replying to 10 years old thread is not always the best action to do, there are newer hacking method released since then)
    and finally, there are the one you shouldn't do (reply to say nothing)

15. RevPokemon
    OP

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Thanks for the answer as I just wanted to make sure!

16. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    By ear. If a new version is released or there's an interesting update concerning the thing first discussed in the OP, then it's fine.

If you bump old threads just because you don't know how to read dates before replying, well, then you get a warn.