Homebrew How long does redNAND take on average to install or backup?

theunfoundsolace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a youtube video that said it could take up to 2 hours on a 32GB Wii U system. Now from what I understand the chances of bricking are very low.

I've been following https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki to a T.

In the black screen where redNAND is doing it's thing it seems to be hung up on slccmpt line. Is there anything to be concerned about? Or should I just be patient?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say be patient. I've installed redNAND twice and backed it up once. installing takes longer from what I remember. it does take a long time too, so just be patient with it.

edit: if u've dumped the virtual wii's NAND, it takes about two to three times longer than that to the wii-u's. I think a lot of it has to do with the sd card when it comes to speed.

Last edited by godreborn,

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long did it take you? I'm kind of in the same boat right, been at the second line for about 40 minutes now 32gb wiiu

Last edited by djricekcn,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For my "8GB" console, it was roughly:

slc: 20 minutes
slccmpt:1 hour and half (each sector was being reread 3 times, you can tell because it says "retry 2")
mlc: 10 minutes or very little more

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's faster to dump the NAND backup than it it is to create it. I dumped my NAND backup to my pc backup drive (2 or 3 of them actually) to retain tickets, and I don't think it took even an hour. u dump each of the three partitions urself, and it's pretty quick. however, creating a NAND backup takes considerably longer. even if u don't use it for redNAND, u'll still have a backup of ur NAND in case of a brick. :)

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte