Hacking How long does it take to install CIAs?

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...Still waiting for my Gateway...

edit: And does anyone know if I can use a microSD with an adapter as my 3DS SD card?
micro_sd_card_with_adapter_3.jpg

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not really a question that has an answer. It depends completely on the size of each individual .cia, and the read/write speed of your SD card. On a slower SD card (class 4 in this example), games such as Pokemon Omega Ruby can take somewhere around 30 minutes or more to install. Smaller .cias, such as emulators or virtual console titles, install almost instantaneously.

As far as the microSD card adapter question goes, I haven't tried it so I can't give you a "it works; I tried it" answer, however I don't see why it wouldn't work just based on how I know those adapters function.

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not really a question that has an answer. It depends completely on the size of each individual .cia, and the read/write speed of your SD card. On a slower SD card (class 4 in this example), games such as Pokemon Omega Ruby can take somewhere around 30 minutes or more to install. Smaller .cias, such as emulators or virtual console titles, install almost instantaneously.
Can I use my 32GB Class 10 UHS 1 MicroSD with an adapter? How long would it take then to install Pokemon?

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use my 32GB Class 10 UHS 1 MicroSD with an adapter? How long would it take then to install Pokemon?

I haven't used an adapter as an SD card, so I don't know based on experience, but I'm pretty sure adapters will work just fine. For a class 10, you're looking at maybe 15-20 minutes, which is faster, but these things do take a while to install.

Reactions: MisterPantsEyes

Pogolol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.olli.biz
XP
Country
Germany

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the adapter arent really any issue, if you upen one up you would see that they basicly just wire the smaler contacts to the bigger one.
here an picture of an defect one:

TBZczvx.jpg

also there a big difference in one class, while class 10 means atleast 10mb/s most more expensice cards go up to +40mb/s

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The adapter shouldn't change your speed by any noticeable amount. They don't really do anything besides route the contact points to a normal sd card. They are essentially just connecting to the contacts on the micro and the contacts on the 3DS that's it. The actual hardware is still all in the microsd.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
barely any time at all. it's just like a PC, it takes a lot longer to install something than to delete it
well its cause in the case of deleting it just marks the data sectors as writeable, this is compare able to taking some words out of the index of an big book. the content is basicly still there but cant find (or overwrite it).

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
tried to install pokemon AS and .cia
it take me a good time , very slow
even on a very fast class 10 UHS-1
maybe because the 3DS is too damn slow ?

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
tried to install pokemon AS and .cia
it take me a good time , very slow
even on a very fast class 10 UHS-1
maybe because the 3DS is too damn slow ?

The 3DS doesn't even support UHS. So it's meaningless to use a card of that quality since the speed won't be better than what the 3DS can support.
It takes time. Even in the fastest of cards.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
The 3DS doesn't even support UHS. So it's meaningless to use a card of that quality since the speed won't be better than what the 3DS can support.
It takes time. Even in the fastest of cards.
when i was using the class 4 , it toke me 25 min to install pokemon AS
class 10 UHS about 10 minutes

so , class does matter

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i was using the class 4 , it toke me 25 min to install pokemon AS
class 10 UHS about 10 minutes

so , class does matter

The 3DS supports I think class 8 speeds max so if you use a class 10 or UHS they will downgrade to class 8 speeds. This is a limitation of the bus in the 3DS. The n3ds I believe supports the UHS bus.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I noticed the painfully slow install speeds on my UHS-I card too... Does anyone know if the Gateway's red card benefits from UHS speeds? I've yet to pick one up.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I noticed the painfully slow install speeds on my UHS-I card too... Does anyone know if the Gateway's red card benefits from UHS speeds? I've yet to pick one up.

Makes no difference. You only use it to play games and that's dependent on the console's reading speed as well. You might feel some difference between class 4 and class 10 for example but it doesn't really makes much difference, especially in the UHS case

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1