How long does it take to decide whether a game is a keeper?!

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Man it's been awhile since I did a topic on here that wasn't me asking for help, but anyway I am about to begin work on a very big project which is making me think a lot of things over as far as how I conduct business, marketing, and advertising. So simple question here, but if you were given any full version of a video game, how long do you think it would take before you made a decision to keep or not (and I'm talking strictly gameplay). For me I think an hour of gameplay is enough for most games.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My criterion is usually whether I want to continue playing the next day or not. There are games I stopped playing after a few minutes / half an hour (they had to be extremely bad for that), but the majority of the games I dropped were the ones I couldn't be bothered to pick up the next day and continue playing. So I'd say a day for me.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends on the type of game.

I give RPGs more of a chance because they almost always take time to get going.
But most other games I know within the first half-hour if i'll continue or not.

Though sometimes i'll be like Veho. I may not necessarily dislike a game, but there are times I simply have no motivation to play it again after the first time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I occasionally give games to or trade them with friends and never otherwise trade them in, though I am very keen on maintaining the option to do so and will look very much down upon anything that frustrates that.

If a game is truly bad then I reckon it probably has merit because of that.

If a game is mediocre then I can probably use it when I have not much else to do as a kind of mechanical/fake stimulation.

How long it takes though... can be 5 minutes and can be 5 hours. For the longer ones though I will usually fire in some cheats, hack it a bit, load in a late stage save or watch late game footage. I will always attempt to figure out the mechanics or break a game though.

To answer the other question why yes I do have a lot of free time. I do not seem to fill it with that many games though,

Main exception. I will probably not play a bad version of Tetris.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often you can tell if a game is awful within minutes, but knowing whether or not it's great, or even good? That can take a lot longer.

It's hard to say much because it varies so much between genres. Sometimes you might only need a few minutes to know it's fun while others (especially more complicated games like RPGs, MOBAs, etc.) might require an investment of hours first.

As long as a game doesn't start out immediately awful, I think most will be willing to give it enough of a chance.

Reactions: Foxi4

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I make my decision within the first few minutes.

If I'm forced to watch an intro before playing or lengthy cut-scenes between levels/rounds then the game is out, for starters. I'm also weary of any games that have 'training modes' because that's a good indication that the game is too complex for my tastes.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Man it's been awhile since I did a topic on here that wasn't me asking for help, but anyway I am about to begin work on a very big project which is making me think a lot of things over as far as how I conduct business, marketing, and advertising. So simple question here, but if you were given any full version of a video game, how long do you think it would take before you made a decision to keep or not (and I'm talking strictly gameplay). For me I think an hour of gameplay is enough for most games.

As said before, it depends on the genre. I'm not a fan of games with lengthy intro cutscenes or giant tutorials, but I am willing to give them a chance. I will also say a day :) BTW your asix channel blog link in your sig is broken ;)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It sort of depends really. I'd say about 30 minutes to an hour for most games, that should be more than enough time to get through basic tutorials/the opening of a game and to the point where you're thrown into the story. Even with most RPGs I find that if it doesn't capture my attention after the first hour then it probably won't for the rest of the game.

Then there are those games that look great the first hour and then just go to shit the rest of the time. An example for myself would be Southpark The Stick of Truth. I was quite amused the first half hour of the game, had a bit of humor and a fairly nice "story", so-to-speak. After that the whole thing just got boring to me and repetitive so I haven't picked it up since.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I Spoke to some friends about this About Different Genres and here's what They said.

Well For Some RPG since they have high replay Value I think It's the first 15 or 30 mintues.
For shooters instant Keeper First few seconds like COD, and TitanFall.
Horror is Iffy Since some people Get scared through the First level like Silent Hill 1. I think it takes Like 10 Mintues if it's a keeper?.
Fighting Is an instant Keeper First few sec No question Asked.
Sports Is a instant Keeper First Few sec.

I asked the most about the popular Genre and I found Out it only takes A First few Sec to 30 min To determined if it's a keeper.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no set answer, different types of games are going to take different amounts of time to make a decision about.

Probably the longest time for RPG's, shortest for stuff like fighters, puzzles, shmups.

When I start falling asleep while in the middle of gameplay its time to move on.:(

When I start falling asleep in the middle of gameplay it's time to go to bed. :lol:

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you play a game and notice that it has no real instructions besides letting the level design teach you, consists of jumping and shooting, and has an intro level (FUCKING GENIUS) then it's a keeper. BTW all of these sorts of games surprisingly have a similar cast in all of them and generally have a story that consists of this asshat who leads 8 robot masters who you have to dick around with before you smash his face in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...