How long do you think the DS lifespan is?

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I want to know how much longer do you think the DS will survive? Are we past the midpoint?

To me, I feel like the DS has yet to show its best. I'd be really sad if Nintendo released a new handheld a year or two from now, since I think the best is yet to come.
Or am I just hallucinating? I mean, won't we see another Pokemon game? Another Mario game? Another Zelda game? Another Metroid game?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, the DS will be around for quite some years. Just like the GBA.

The DS lineup isn't bad, but it isn't as great as you might expect either. I think we'll see another Mario-game, another Zelda-game and another Metroid-game. And yeah, probably another Pokemon-game too. We'll just have to wait.

I wouldn't be suprised if a few of them would be announced this year.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo always cares about consoles of previous generation, but only one generation behind (there are still gba games releases but no more earlier generations releases such as game boy classic/color etc). So I say there will be long life for ds, eaven if next generation of nintendo handhelds will be on market.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No one knows...hopefully Nintendo can spit some more good games out (new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, etc) out before it ends.

But I'm actually hoping for a new handheld from Nintendo.
I've had my fun with DS - gimme somethin' new
biggrin.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well look at it like this... Nintendo is planning on making the third generation of DSes soon (Slim Lite? Micro Lite?). They are going to keep it going as long as they can. And they are raking in the money with the DS so it's not going to be for a long time to come. When the DS finally does take the back burner to a new handheld then more than likely the new handheld will have backwards compatibility with the DS -- either physically or via VC (hopefully the former).

License%20to%20Print%20Money.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say as long as they can make Sony look stupid with the PSP, or anything they try and put out over the top of the PSP, NIntendo has a strong chance of leaving the DS right there. It's cheap, simple to make games for, games cost much less ($10-30 for like 99% of them,) durable, long battery, and offers that unique play style. Until they get bored of making money off it, or something actually does drive people away in droves it'll be around. But due to the special market it has been adapted for...I imagine Nintendo will continue support well into another systems life if it doesn't also adapt the touch setup and have a backwards compatibility port for the DS cards. True lightweight casuals and those non-gamers could give a crap if some NDS2 came out with 4x the power and the same battery and interface if what they have still gives them pleasure for pennies to the dollar.

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I wonder if Nintendo's next handheld will have a touch screen again, I can imagine they wanna try -yet again- something new but I guess with the DS they somewhat set the standard of touch screen for handhelds, I mean a lot of PSP users like the feature (and there's a homebrew screen thing for it on PSP too).

I can't wait till they reveal either a new revision of the current DS or the next gen handheld.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, midpoint: definitely. Timescale: 2009 will arrive with the DS still around. January 2010 I reckon will be seeing a situation like the GBA was a year ago with titles hitting the peak of the DS ability although I say the death rattle will not be as long and protracted as the GBAs.

The good as I see it:
The good thing as far as I see it is we are out of gimmick/tech demo territory for the most part:
the touch screen is used for sensible purposes rather than tacked on (think the ice in the first Castlevania)
3d is moving up in the world with some decent 3d titles consistently appearing, even from less well known devs.

RPGs (I do not know about most of you but they are a kind of sucess metric for me) are appearing in ever better outings (the situation was quite dire for the longest time, take a look at the What RPG threads in the archive if you need a refresher course)

Make a GBA game and port up is now restricted to film cash in titles for the most part (even them some of those do some interesting stuff which trickles back into "good" games).

Rom hacking has taken a forefront with large scale projects happening often including RPG titles (this sort of stuff still is rare on stuff like the PS1 despite it being largely the same techniques required), a slew of tools and a fair group of people possessing the abilities to do it.

Flash carts are now very much at the look at my fancy features stage and emulators are consistently able to play/hack games. Companies have taken the law suits approach rather than technological (for the most part) when it comes to this sort of thing.

Homebrew is great although emulation could still use some work in the fancy features/nigh on flawless department. For those still reading and without wifi can I suggest you get yourself sorted, the last 6 months have seen it come on leaps and bounds in terms of usefulness.

The bad:
Some devs seem to have realised just how close the early PS1, 64 and such are to the DS meaning a good chance of "remakes". It could go either way but experience with the SNES like GBA says it will at best be a rocky road.

Atlus seem to be twiddling their thumbs a bit: of course this could just be a website not updated but when what I regard as one of the foremost localisation teams of 3rd party titles does not appear to have much going on.....

Square Enix seems to have contracted remake fever. I am a great fan of their games but I can also leave them alone if they do not warrant my time. If by chance a person at S.E. is reading this rant among the millions of others a new Vagrant Story or dare I say it even a "remake" would probably cause me to forget all this.

With regard to the original poster:
Pokemon: spin offs not included I say perhaps a "remake" of an earlier title or a sequel in as much as yellow was a sequel to red. If we do see a true sequel I dare say it will be designed with the successor to the DS in mind or we will see a split version (see megaman 5 on the GBA and DS or perhaps more poignantly the Zelda TP title).

Mario: hard one. NSMB2 Is a possibility and there is little left to "port" (forgetting the possibility of a collection). New RPG, outside chance at best.

Zelda: not normally one for spinoffs a situation like pokemon will probably arise if it does at all. I would love to see a hack like the Zelda Parallel Worlds for link to the past (SNES) though ( http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/197/ ).

Normally I would wait until something like e3 but those do not seem to be that good anymore and things have to be pieced together.

A new bomberman, advance wars and kirby title seem to be coming up and there looks to be some potentially amazing titles appearing ( http://www.gamerevolution.com/release/view.php?system=ds ) so I doubt any of us will go long without something to do.

As usual I seem to have gone on for far longer than was warranted and I doubt I have covered anything new, sorry people.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw an article in game informer that showed a picture of a shadow of a ds and a ? mark over it. nintendo said its done with the design or the new ds. its slimmer but has no gba slot. it wont be released until the sales of the current ds and dsl slow down.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw an article in game informer that showed a picture of a shadow of a ds and a ? mark over it. nintendo said its done with the design or the new ds. its slimmer but has no gba slot. it wont be released until the sales of the current ds and dsl slow down.

Everyone quit buying the DS now!!!

Hopefully they will at least show the design soon!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I think DS will be strong until around the start of 2010 (so 2 years).
Then i predict they will release a brand new handheld, likely maintaining a touchscreen and adding multimedia capabilities (it's almost inevitable).

In the meantime, i expect a smaller DS revision in 2009.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Higher res screen = get closer for better picture (or not, you can SEE the pixels on the DS screens at regular distance)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse