Hacking How long did it take gamecube to get a modchip?

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The nintendo DS had backup devices available less than 6 months after release.

The xbox 360 took about 7 or 8 months I believe (not sure though)

But I think the gamecube took several years, am I right? I hope we're not still waiting for a modchip for Wii in 2009.

edit: ANSWERED! Scroll down to read enarky's post.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hopefully due to Wii being popular and a good console someone can find an exploit and allow GC and Wii backups to be played
biggrin.gif
. At the moment GC homebrew can be run but GC backups cant. The first step will be getting GC backups to play then Wii games.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the Wii can get "hacked" soon. Since it uses an SD slot and USB port, it's just beggin' to be hacked somehow `-`

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The first dump was released on 11th June 2003, the first loader appeared 4 months later.
The modchip was released Novemeber 2004, about 3 years after the cube was released.

D

Deleted User

it is strongly related to the hype going around the console... A lot of users of wii, since a lot are sold, increases the chance one find an exploit. Also the fact that the architecture is close to the gamecube increase a lot the possibility to adapt exploits, for example the strong psp scene has made the ps3 ridculously fast hacked...
For the sd card or usb, it doesn't allow directly to make hack. But the possibility of buffer overflow vulnerabilities to be found, is increased by the fact anybody can put content on their sd card and crash the interface. For example a ill named jpg or something like that can lead to a hack. For the gamecube, at first, their was no way to test discs as the physical protection was too strong. So, the very begginning was the pso exploit. Which was really dull when you think about it, come on sega, I'm sure you intended the gamecube to be hacked.
that was my 2 cents...

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well... actually why is everyone so hyped about a console to be hacked, when it has just been released? show some support... buy some games
sleep.gif

Of course, some games arent even worth it, so using backups of those games can get a gamer to spare a little money. *coughStarfoxadventurescough*

But lets be real... it might take a LONG TIME to be hacked. Just because it has a SD & USB slot, doesnt mean IMMEDIATE hack. who knows, it might be even harder to hack then the gamecube...no one knows for now.

....so many topics about this tends to get boring and annoying.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
To give a little more info:
In June 2003 people used the PSO Exploit for the first time, which was known from the DC version already - it was possible for Sega to upload executable updates for PSO while it's online. It was found out that these executables weren't signed in any way, so by spoofing the Sega server one could upload any code he wanted to PSO. There wasn't any use for it back on DC, since it was already able to play homebrew software through other ways, but on the GC it was possible to extract the first ISOs (Action Replay, Zelda, Starfox, Skies of Arcadia, Luigis Mansion IIRC) this way. These ISOs weren't of much use, though, since they weren't playable and contained a lot of garbage data. But GCDev sceneers were quite happy, since they finally could run code on the GC using PSUL 1.0 and PSO Loader.

Then, on Oct, 10th 2003 Eurasia first released an internal ISO of Animal Crossing for GC with garbage data removed and soon thereafter their famous "Animal Crossing Loader", which allowed sending AC to the GC and execute it from RAM. With AC Loader 1.1 streaming was possible, so a lot more games worked - but very flaky and sometimes choppy. Various iterations later it still wasn't a very reliable way to play backups.

Later a guy named tmbinc made a chip to replace the GC BIOS (even if you're only remotely interested in console hacking, read this thread, as it contains *lot's* of information), which made it possible to load Homebrew software more conveniently. Based on this chip the Viper team built a modchip for homebrewers that allowed to boot commercial ISOs from the DVD drive with a modified BIOS called "Cobra" in November 2004, finally.

Later the bootcode from Cobra was extracted by a group calling themselves "Utopia" (I don't know if they're tied to the DC group Utopia, which released the first Boot CD for this system, but I think that's highly unlikely) and released under the name "Anaconda". This made it possible to boot copies from softmods like SDLoad or Max Drive. This drivecode later evolved to GCOS and was also used by Team Ninja which made a chip caled "Ninjamod" (nowadays they make DS flashcarts... I just don't know which of the two Ninja devices). It is rumored that the people behind the Qoob chips at least based their code on Cobra/Anaconda, but it is said that the versions they have released don't resemble this at all.

There were various issues with sound streaming from DVD, flakey reading from cheap DVDRs and multi DVD games with these chips, but I'm honestly to lazy to get the facts about these straight out... AFAIR Qoob was the first chip that perfectly played most backups sometime 2005, but I honestly don't really remember and around that time I also kind of lost interest in GC backups.

If you know better, please correct me. Sorry, this is mostly from memory with a little research on the Dextrose forums - I didn't even plan writing that long. Most important: GC released November 18th, 2001, first "backup" October 10th, 2003 (=two years), first modchip around November 2004 (=three years).

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
To give a little more info:
In June 2003 people used the PSO Exploit for the first time, which was known from the DC version already - it was possible for Sega to upload executable updates for PSO while it's online. It was found out that these executables weren't signed in any way, so by spoofing the Sega server one could upload any code he wanted to PSO. There wasn't any use for it back on DC, since it was already able to play homebrew software through other ways, but on the GC it was possible to extract the first ISOs (Action Replay, Zelda, Starfox, Skies of Arcadia, Luigis Mansion IIRC) this way. These ISOs weren't of much use, though, since they weren't playable and contained a lot of garbage data. But GCDev sceneers were quite happy, since they finally could run code on the GC using PSUL 1.0 and PSO Loader.

Then, on Oct, 10th 2003 Eurasia first released an internal ISO of Animal Crossing for GC with garbage data removed and soon thereafter their famous "Animal Crossing Loader", which allowed sending AC to the GC and execute it from RAM. With AC Loader 1.1 streaming was possible, so a lot more games worked - but very flaky and sometimes choppy. Various iterations later it still wasn't a very reliable way to play backups.

Later a guy named tmbinc made a chip to replace the GC BIOS (even if you're only remotely interested in console hacking, read this thread, as it contains *lot's* of information), which made it possible to load Homebrew software more conveniently. Based on this chip the Viper team built a modchip for homebrewers that allowed to boot commercial ISOs from the DVD drive with a modified BIOS called "Cobra" in November 2004, finally.

Later the bootcode from Cobra was extracted by a group calling themselves "Utopia" (I don't know if they're tied to the DC group Utopia, which released the first Boot CD for this system, but I think that's highly unlikely) and released under the name "Anaconda". This made it possible to boot copies from softmods like SDLoad or Max Drive. This drivecode later evolved to GCOS and was also used by Team Ninja which made a chip caled "Ninjamod" (nowadays they make DS flashcarts... I just don't know which of the two Ninja devices). It is rumored that the people behind the Qoob chips at least based their code on Cobra/Anaconda, but it is said that the versions they have released don't resemble this at all.

There were various issues with sound streaming from DVD, flakey reading from cheap DVDRs and multi DVD games with these chips, but I'm honestly to lazy to get the facts about these straight out... AFAIR Qoob was the first chip that perfectly played most backups sometime 2005, but I honestly don't really remember and around that time I also kind of lost interest in GC backups.

If you know better, please correct me. Sorry, this is mostly from memory with a little research on the Dextrose forums - I didn't even plan writing that long. Most important: GC released November 18th, 2001, first "backup" October 10th, 2003 (=two years), first modchip around November 2004 (=three years).

Thanks a bunch. This is probably the best post I have read on this board in the last several months.
Cheers for quality posting.
grog.gif

Frz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
frz.cc
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well... actually why is everyone so hyped about a console to be hacked, when it has just been released? show some support... buy some games
sleep.gif

Of course, some games arent even worth it, so using backups of those games can get a gamer to spare a little money. *coughStarfoxadventurescough*

For myself I want a regionfree solution. I got an US Wii and so I'm forced to buy US games for the moment (not that much of a problem since they are cheaper than euro games...)
A regionfree solution would allow me to buy local games and maybe also run my (euro) gamecube games on my (us) wii =)

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I ignored the gamecube until the modchip was out.

The qoob and xenogc chip work perfect and the discs play the same as an original game.
I hope the internals of the wii are much like the gamecube so it can be hacked soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1