Gaming How long before the [New Switch+] model?

Dark_Ansem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to buy this, but I am kind of concerned that, like the 3ds, it will lead to the spawn of a "New Nintendo Switch" model, with extra cost.

EDIT: to clarify, I mean Nintendo pulling a "New 3ds"-like thing. Not just bigger screen. I mean actual new hardware, with better performance.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I don't think there will be a bigger version of it but I'm sure there will be some kind of new revision of the Switch, or the dock even. No one knows about it yet though.
Nintendo said they were working on a new handheld or Switch revision but never said when.

Dark_Ansem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think there will be a bigger version of it but I'm sure there will be some kind of new revision of the Switch, or the dock even. No one knows about it yet though.

Don't expect anyone to know :) I'd just rather try to avoid the "mom's eyephone" pitfall (LOL)

futurama-eye-phone%20mom%20store.jpg

Reactions: xile6

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
probably 2-3 years.
Nintendo are quite slow with the refreshes. 3DS 2011, 3DS XL 2012, new 3DS/XL 2015.
I don't imagine an XL version of this console in all honesty and it'd get a little too big.

I think Nintendo will probably refresh the 3DS given their investment in 3D technology and the fact they got it working on the new 3DSXL really really well. However I don't think they should. They should just concentrate on the switch now but meh... the 3DS brand is such a cashcow with its cheap as chips graphic requirements + cheap to make games... don't see them ditching it. Same reason I don't expect a 3D pokemon RPG on the switch.

Given the fact this console is released during the "mid gen refresh" its possible we won't even see a proper revision if sony or MS decide to ditch their scorpio Ps4 pro users and just go up a generation. I don't see that happening though.

Last edited by aofelix,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

If you'd have gotten it for £198.50 or less like I did, you wouldn't even care if they'd release a revised one which they might very will but I won't be bothering to buy that. Just for comparison's sake; the WiiU's launch price was £349.99 so the Switch costing £279.99 means a save of £70 and the Switch's screen quality is far superior than the prehistoric WiiU GamePad.

I love the screen quality of the Switch screen but between a small screen and a TV, I'll pick the latter. When I travel then I'll make use of Switch's portability. :)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Like Wii U, don't expect much in the way of revision. Not sure what they could change to make any meaningful difference with Switch. Micro SDXC and potential support for external HDDs later means there's no storage space issues. Make Switch smaller and it wouldn't be powerful enough to function as a home console. Make it larger and it'd be too big to effectively be used as a portable. For $300, this is the best you're gonna get, and Nintendo won't want to waste money R&Ding another device any time soon. If Switch sells poorly, Nintendo will just fall back on 3DS and mobile. If it sells well, it'll be a mainstay among consoles for 4-5 years.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think they'll just make more unnecessary accessories, maybe a ROB 2.1
Yeah that's the thing about Switch: it's practically fully modular. They can make new joy cons and new docks and new controller types, and anybody who owns Switch can buy this stuff. There's no need to make a completely new version of the console itself, everything can be modified outside of that. Be it based on functional preference or just aesthetics.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it'd be trickier making a new Switch. if they do, they'd have to make sure that everything that plugs into it still works.

I feel confident that if Nintendo upgrades anything, it would be by offering the mythical "Power Dock" with an eGPU.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should be a couple weeks m8

Switch released a couple days ago, might as well wait for the next Nintendo console. It's too late in its life cycle to get this one.

how are people so stupid and have to ask moronic crap like this

hellfire789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like Wii U, don't expect much in the way of revision. Not sure what they could change to make any meaningful difference with Switch. Micro SDXC and potential support for external HDDs later means there's no storage space issues. Make Switch smaller and it wouldn't be powerful enough to function as a home console. Make it larger and it'd be too big to effectively be used as a portable. For $300, this is the best you're gonna get, and Nintendo won't want to waste money R&Ding another device any time soon. If Switch sells poorly, Nintendo will just fall back on 3DS and mobile. If it sells well, it'll be a mainstay among consoles for 4-5 years.

They could do what Sony did and release a Nintendo Switch Pro with games running at 1080p, 60 FPS. Assuming the Switch sells as well as the PS4 did.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They could do what Sony did and release a Nintendo Switch Pro with games running at 1080p, 60 FPS. Assuming the Switch sells as well as the PS4 did.
Games do and will run at 1080p60. Fast RMX, MK8D, and probably ARMS/Splatoon 2 as well. Skyrim will probably do 1080p30, but that's no worse than XB1 and PS4.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
my gut says:
* you will get a new Switch revision within 3 years. A release within 2 years would be far better for Nintendo. 3 years is too long to be stuck with this same hardware, I reckon (though Nintendo will release new colours of the current model, as usual).
* It will have battery life that's at least an hour longer
* It will have on-board storage that's at least twice the size
* It will have 'enhanced' performance due to the new chips - maybe like 3DS to New 3DS or DS to DSi
* It will have a proper kickstand with multiple angles and more stability
* attention will be given to this problem: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14712498/nintendo-switch-joy-con-controller-wrist-strap
* attention will be given to this problem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbG3F9RwlcY
* the dock & main unit will have less drab colours
* we may see 'portable only' or 'dock only' Switches in future - Nintendo's desire to save money knows no bounds, so a 'switchless' Switch is something I would expect to see after some years in the future. A 'portable only' Switch would be freed from the compromises of being a portable and a home unit & a 'dock-only' Switch would save Nintendo a lots of yen, all-the-while making Sony and Microsoft cry as people compare retail prices between the systems (a bit like the role the 2DS plays now to get people in the ecosystem). Nintendo will still be a distant third in home consoles. But the low cost will allow them to survive and possibly thrive. The Switch already has to be far cheaper to make than Sony and Microsoft's systems, so Nintendo has to be making a nice profit on the hardware already.
* nearly all the early feedback & niggling support issues they receive on this unit will get attention in revision 2.0 - and there will be far more games to choose from - and it will be cheaper. And there will be far more cheap accessories available from third-parties.
* the dock is crying out for exchangeable faceplates & so is the Switch in my opinion. Maybe we'll see this cash-cow return.

I would estimate that the sooner they release a refresh, the better for them. I bet there were lots of things the hardware engineers wanted to do but couldn't due to time constraints.

Last edited by foob,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to buy this, but I am kind of concerned that, like the 3ds, it will lead to the spawn of a "New Nintendo Switch" model, with extra cost.

No idea. It is too early. Try 3 years later. Or ask Nintendo. To me, I know for sure if they want to do that then 3 years is possibly from now.

hellfire789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Games do and will run at 1080p60. Fast RMX, MK8D, and probably ARMS/Splatoon 2 as well. Skyrim will probably do 1080p30, but that's no worse than XB1 and PS4.

What I really meant was 1080p, 60FPS undocked, and 4K support, constant 60FPS docked. Impossible I know, but a guy can dream. Hell, if they were able to do that, I'd gladly the pay increased price.

Last edited by hellfire789,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality