How likely is an EmuNAND or other way of keeping homebrew on latest firmware before Mario Maker?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by GoldenSun3DS, Aug 24, 2015.

1. GoldenSun3DS
    OP

GoldenSun3DS GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    United States
    I've had my Wii U with NSMBU, SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 since last November (not Black Friday sale), and kept it at whatever update was on MK8 or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

But I really want to get Mario Maker when it releases.

Last I heard there was supposed to be something in June. I don't even care if there's no homebrew available now, I just want to be able to update while keeping it hackable.

So, how far off is EmuNAND? Or is it not theoretically possible with the current exploits?

Margen67 likes this.

2. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    We can only hope. Time will tell.. plz release IT @Mn1

Margen67 likes this.
  3. oPolo

oPolo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2014
    "plz release"... That was pathetic.
    Things take time. Contribute to the work yourself, or do the wait and hope that it comes eventually. :)
    Support the devs in their work; do not drive them insane with your impatience that you feel is just to bother them with.

otto888, frogboy, Margen67 and 2 others like this.
  4. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    If you don't care for homebrew why not update? The whole point of waiting on a lower firmware is cause to use homebrew.

Or you want free games.... My bad.

5. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    "Please release me , let me gooooo!!!!" :lol:

Emunand is likely but you will just have to wait, in the mean time why not get stuck into the Gecko and Cafiine side of the exploit take your mind of it, find some cheat codes out etc.. I have not even bothered thinking about anything else as yet been to busy with gecko & cafiine! the wiiu scene has been smashed this last few days, its fantastic, lovin it, fresh!!!

6. Mathew_Wi

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    Before Mario Maker? 0% chance.

loco365 likes this.
  7. Antonio Ricardo

Antonio Ricardo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    But you think until end of this year Emunand is possible?

Last edited by Antonio Ricardo, Aug 24, 2015
  8. ddrrmm

ddrrmm GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2007
    United States
    when the wiiu is dead you might get something.

semi-serious.. ;f

9. GoldenSun3DS
    OP

Apr 27, 2013
    United States
    No. I want to use my Wii U to dump games for use on a PC when an emulator inevitably gets made for Wii U (because of enhancements like resolution increase and 3D).

Homebrew is kinda pointless now that I have a PC cuz that stuff is better on a PC lol.

I don't want to download games, I want to buy all my own games, hence why I bought a Wii U early to collect dust until a hack comes.

mutinize likes this.
  10. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    emmunand is most likely going to need an ios level access. Since ios makes calls to nand chip it is unlikely a nand spoof can occur without being done at that higher level. The best bet for those truely curious about it would be to attempt the upgrade/downgrade process mentioned in another thread. And since time has proven the kernel access has ability to change the ram a potential workaround on feeding parts of the updated nand on command via tcp connection.
    In another topic all together has anyone managed to pull the primary keys yet????
    You have a kernel exploit already there are many places at which ios communicates to OS. Surely one of you have managed to corrupt something somewhere.
    Just torture the hell out of it. Eventually it will start spilling it's gusts.

11. cookie15

cookie15 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2007
    Canada
    NoA just announced eShop only release for the new Fatal Frame. I really hope an emuNAND solution will come out.

12. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    We've been working on that since relatively recently.

13. cornerpath

cornerpath GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Jackson, Ms
    Emunand isn't really needed LOL this isn't the 3ds all we need is firmware spoofer thats a major perk in console hacking
    why do these people need emunand? All they really need is firmware spoofer rite?

14. GoldenSun3DS
    OP

Apr 27, 2013
    United States
    Ahem
    "or other way of keeping homebrew on latest firmware"

15. cornerpath

cornerpath GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Jackson, Ms
    Wait you're right I just realized why not get emunand though, since we almost have full control of the system why not
    build/make anything that's possible.

Plus some people do want emunand so everyone can be happy, man I can't wait now but he need iosu rite

16. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    It really shouldn't be phrased as emunand when in fact it would be nand replacement.
    Spoofing the firmware I actually believe would be quite a bit more difficult than it sounds. The ultimate goal would be full write access at nand storage. A short work around would be emunand. At least until nand decryption happens. The replacement deal would be great for the time being as well...(the ability to downgrade/upgrade when online gaming is desired)
    The primary control agent (ios) does a lot of checking on itself and whatnot so simply spoofing the upgrade firmware I personally don't view that as a viable option. Now a full emulation of the Nand may in fact prove itself worthy. As far as IOS is concerned everything is A-ok and as far as nint. servers are concerned everything is also great. And in a round about way by emulating the nand one would be basically "spoofing the firmware".
    Honestly do you have a complete workup of what was changed in the upgrade? I know some people know what was updated but do you really know exactly what all was changed? Or what all those changes communicate with? Or exactly what is being checked to validate your firmware? Or how many times that happens? It would be much easier (easier not easy) to just write a script that would point those checks to the upgraded parts every time they are requested rather than just point to the updated firmware.
    Also, what was your signature that the staff felt so obligated to remove. I am more interested in that right now than emulated nand.

17. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Seeing how nicely marionumber1 and his team protect their unpatched exploits, I'm pretty certain we won't see a public IOSU exploit (should they succeed in doing so), as long as big N didn't close the hole.

18. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    If you think any of that is going to happen relatively soon, I'm sorry to say, you don't know the first thing about emulation. A Wii U emulator is at LEAST 10+ years away. (And that's IF an amazing team like the Dolphin team decides to pick it up, and IF PC hardware continues to advance very rapidly so that a consumer-level computer could actually handle such an emulator at a playable framerate.) May I remind you that the original Xbox was released in 2001, has very low specs in today's terms, and yet not a single good emulator for it exists.

If you don't see the value in playing homebrew and emulators on your Wii U because you can they're "better on a PC", I don't see any reason why you should wait around for a console hack that has nothing to offer you.

19. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    frogboy likes this.
  20. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I'm impressed... But I guess I should have added an extra clarification: I meant a Wii U emulator which is able to run retail games at a playable framerate without crashing uncontrollably. (As that seems to be what the OP is really after.) DirectX 12 will definitely help a lot with the graphical overhead, but even still I don't think we'll see any playable emulators for current gen consoles for at least a decade to come. A little research project doesn't really prove the drive or capacity to spend years reverse-engineering in order to make a highly accurate emulator.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable on the topic than myself. But even one (or more) of the Dolphin developers has said as much:
    https://www.facebook.com/dolphin.emu/posts/552704644827978 (3rd paragraph from the bottom)

Last edited by TehCupcakes, Aug 28, 2015