How likely am I to get a 360 that will RROD?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Worried about RROD. I'm set to get a 60GB 360. By the time I get a 360, I might get the new Jasper ones with built-in 256MB (crosses fingers for that).

Anyways, how likely am I to get a 360 that will RRoD and what is the average time for all 360s before they RRoD?

If it's worse than I think it is, I'll get a PS3 instead.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jasper uses 65nm GPU so it's suppose to eliminate RROD, but no one knows for sure since it's only been out for a while.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think its impossible to say - depends on how "hard" you use it, where you keep it, and just plain old luck (good or bad)
Just get one - you got 3 years RROD cover anyway - you can't lose.

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
rambozotheclown said:
I think its impossible to say - depends on how "hard" you use it, where you keep it, and just plain old luck (good or bad)

qft. I had my xbox for 1 year and a half before it RRoD on me last month. got it back 2 weeks later.
don't get a ps3 just because you're afraid of RRoD...

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
rambozotheclown said:
A core gamer but I don't play like one. What I mean is that I like core games but I don't play them really long. Maybe max. 2-4 hours a day. But I'll definitely play it for long when I get it.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
martin88 said:
Jasper uses 65nm GPU so it's suppose to eliminate RROD, but no one knows for sure since it's only been out for a while.
How do i check if the 360 I have is a jasper?
I did get mine after august 2008 so does that mean I have one?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Check the power supply , 150W = Jasper.

Wouldn't rest my hopes on it fixing the problem though , falcon was also meant to be the saviour when it came out. Microsoft are just hoping for the best , make it run cooler and hope it works. Should of fixed the issue as soon as it appeared with a proper redesign.

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If I get RRoD, what are the worst things that can happen? Will the things like Live accounts, saves and things stored in the HDD get affected by it?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
R2DJ said:
If I get RRoD, what are the worst things that can happen? Will the things like Live accounts, saves and things stored in the HDD get affected by it?

HDD won't be affected by RROD AFAIK.

Snooby

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no no. You don't lose anything. Everything in the HDD is safe. The xbox's hardware is the only thing that is effected. Then, you send it to them and they usually fix it or they just give you a new one. It's really not that bad. You just cant play your xbox for like the week or two it is gone for repairs.

They actually handle it very well in my opinion
biggrin.gif
Very nice. They send you a box, packaging, everything. All free shipping. I have gained some respect for Microsoft.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I used my 360 for about roughly 20-30 hours a month for 2 years, then it RROD! It was a near launch model though, the new ones have got completely different heatsinks that are much bigger, and work better so hopefully RROD should be an issue for a reasonably new machine!

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
R2DJ said:
You'll send in your X360 (dunno about GB, but here in Germany you can even have a UPS driver collect your X360 from your home, for free), wait a week or two, receive a working X360 that looks like new, and everything will be better than it was before.

However, once the three years of RRoD coverage are over, you'll have to pay to get your broken 360 repaired...So think ahead and just make sure you purchase a Jasper.
lecture.gif

By the way, there's supposedly no way to tell from the box whether there's a Jasper inside or not, so make sure you'll get one from a new batch.

Translucentbill

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Dont EVER peel off the shiny sticker under the faceplate, i am warning you now.... I did and BOOM right then and there my warranty disappeared... =[

Still not RRoD thank god =] i've had it since last july

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Translucentbill said:
Dont EVER peel off the shiny sticker under the faceplate, i am warning you now.... I did and BOOM right then and there my warranty disappeared... =[

Still not RRoD thank god =] i've had it since last july

smileipb2.png

You can buy one from eBay.

Zesu-chan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Red Ring of Death coverage come standard for the 360, or do I have to buy it separate?

And what sticky under the faceplate are you referring to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.